AWWW Yeah!

Other - General Mazda Discussions
93SOHC

AWWW Yeah!

Post by 93SOHC »

Just got a fat check from the Irs, BP here I come! Anyway what kinda ?'s should I ask the junk man when picking up a motor? what should I look for as far as damage, etc. Never bought a motor from a j/y before
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Get a compression test done. That one test will tell you a lot about the engine. I am not sure what the stock PSI readings for the BP should be.. but just make sure all the readings are within say 10 PSI of each other.. even readings are just as important as high readings. If you dont have a compression tester you can get them at just about any parts store.. get one of the ones with the hose and screw in spark plug adapter (they come with a couple of fittings sometimes) Dont get the type you are supposed to press against the spark plug hole. These are tough to get sealed and sometimes wont reach down deep enough to get through the plug wire holes in the valve cover. Best of luck man.

Tunes67
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

so if I bought my compression tester to the j/y, they'd let me test it? a lot of the j/y's around here pull the motors and crush the car if it has severe body damage. I guess I should find a motor in a car since i'll need the ecu and stuff anyway. This is gonna me fun!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

They should let you test it.. wont be easy though.. especially if you have to hand crank the engine ( this will turn a easy test into a time consuming test ) but if you got a good compression tester.. you can still do it by hand cranking the engine. As for whether or not the J/Y will allow it.. they probably wont like it at the least ;) They just want it gone. You would be better off buying a rebuilt one.. though it is a lot more cash.. Buying used it always a crapshoot. At least if you can get a compression test.. you will have loaded one of the dice in your favor ;)

Tunes67
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: AWWW Yeah!

Post by Nallboy »

93SOHC wrote: BP here I come!
Guess this means you're gonna change your name. 8) Nice.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yeah, i'm gonna have to talk to Jeff about that...LOL

Return to “General Mazda”