dual exhaust?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3tuner

dual exhaust?

Post by mx3tuner »

Hey, i dont know if any one asked about this already or not but i couldnt find anything. Does anyone have any info on dual exhuast for a V6?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I think "mx3 man" has dual exhaust on his mx3, I wouldnt go with dual exhaust unless youve got serious power out of your k series engine
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mitmaks wrote:I think "mx3 man" has dual exhaust on his mx3, I wouldnt go with dual exhaust unless youve got serious power out of your k series engine
Agreed, if no poop to support it, then it's all bling. And that kind of bling is only going to add excess unwanted weight.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

would a klze provide enough power for dual exhaust?
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

mx3tuner wrote:would a klze provide enough power for dual exhaust?
i think most people are gonna tell you that a 2.25" or 2.5" single is more than adequte for the ZE... plus, as mentioned before, the added weight to your car will negate any kind of benefit you get from it anyway...

plus don't forget the fact that you then have to do a ton of custom work $$$ ... 2 cats, 2 mufflers, twice as much pipe bending and welding, and plus, i don't even know how easy of a fit it would be... the gas tank might get in the way.... not sure... but if you have the money to spend and u really really like the look of the dual then go for it... even if you're not too handy w/ exhaust work i'm sure u can find some one willing to do it for you, but just expect to pay for it

but unless you're doin something crazy to your engine, then it's not at all necessary IMO... but i agree, the look of it is very very nice
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's this rule of thumb I've heard; 1" exaust for 1L of displacement

You have to look at it this way, to small of an exaust is restrictive, to big of an exaust causes the exaust gases to expand, cool and slow down, you have to find a happy medium, which is why i think that rule exists, as a guide
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Not woth it,
go with a single 2.5" pipe to your raer axle, then split to two 1.1/4" dual pipes if you just want the look, click my link below to see what it looks like. The car will have problems ideling if you go with true duals, side ways engines don't work to well with twin pipes, multiple reasons.....
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

SE-Man wrote:Not woth it,
go with a single 2.5" pipe to your raer axle, then split to two 1.1/4" dual pipes if you just want the look, click my link below to see what it looks like. The car will have problems ideling if you go with true duals, side ways engines don't work to well with twin pipes, multiple reasons.....
Had a look at your site, looks good. You've advertised a weight of 2,200 lbs. I've got to know your secret for shaving nearly 400 lbs from curb weight while adding a wing, body kit and a large sound system. How did you do that?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Thats racing weight. I don't race with my sound system in it. My front end (Kit) is actually lighter than stock, I also shaved some weight off the ABS front bumper (I cut off the parts that the turn signals screw into. The hood is all fiber glass pin on, no metal frame or hinges. I removed EVERYTHING under the hood that was not needed. Removed all sound dampening, by swaping out spoilers I only added 5 lbs. Light weight rims, removed everything inside and in the harch area thats not needed. Its actually lighter cuz now when I race I remove the entire rear seat now.
As a daily driver I 'm only at around 2300 - 2350 LBs. If its not needed, I removed it, thats how. :twisted:
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

If you want you can just do a cheap dual exhaust. Just run a single pipe (2.25 to 2.5) until you get to the gas tank then split them and run it to the back. Then all you need is one cat and one resinator with two mufflers. or none if your into that. you could also just cut a whole in your pipe to the back behind the gas tank and run a second one to the other side. Just some thoughts.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I going for the dual look also. I'm getting a Magnaflow highflow cat and the Deltaflow 40 series from Flowmaster with 2.5" inlet and dual 1.5" (I think, it's written down at home) outlets. I'll run the dual from there and finish with two mufflers. By splitting it at the resonator, I'm making sure exhaust gasses exit from both pipes. It looks really stupid when it's cold out and only one pipe has steam coming from it. I know it's dead weight, but I like the look. :P
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”