Question for you BP & BPT owners..

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Question for you BP & BPT owners..

Post by Tunes67 »

What kind of gas mileage do you guys see running these engines? I know they have more HP than the stock B6's.. but I am kinda wondering how the mileage averages out.. more power means you dont have to hit the gas as hard to move the associated weight but this would in theory also require more fuel? Or is the engine more effiicient or just more displacement? Just curious.. I dont plan to upgrade but if the opportunity came up.. would be nice to know a few other facts :)

TIA

Tunes67
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

shoulda searched for it buddy...

anyway, to make life a little easier, Gro said that despite it being of an essentially more efficient design than the B6, for some reason the BP gets pretty "crappy" gas milage at around 26 mpg for him on average. The BPT should get similar economy as long as you stay off the boost, I guess.

You SHOULD plan to upgrade... the B6 sucks :P
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heh.. this car is about mileage to me. When I want power I will get a V6 KLZE GS version. And I did search for it. Didnt find anything specific and I wanted to get averages from as many people that own these engines as I could. My RS is suffcient for my needs.. I like the car and it should last a long time. I like the style and I like the comfort of the car. But if I build another performance car.. heh.. it wont be japanese.. ;) Make my hot rod a 67 SS Nova with a 327 & 6 speed trans with a 150 shot of NOS. Modified independant rear suspension. To me.. this is power.. I love my MX3.. but I am a gear head from the old days.. I love the roar of a V8 and so many G forces you cant even reach up to touch the dashboard while under full throttle. I built a car much like this once.. it got 8 miles to the gallon in the city and a whopping 13 on the hiway (it was a 75 Nova though.. 67 is my dream car) To me my MX-3 is a mildly sporty fun to drive commuter car. I will enhance its performance as I go.. but its main function is reliablity and driveabilty. I had to sell my Nova thanks to a house fire that pretty much took most of my possesions and I needed cash badly.. one day.. I will build another. But not till I have a fully equipped shop/garage again. Btw.. my 75 Nova pulled a 13.6 @ 121 mph on crappy street tires at the Seattle International Speedway. (Didnt have NOS in that car though) On the dyno the car produced 413 HP at the rear wheels.. last I heard.. the guy that bought the car put it in a ditch and hosed my beautiful bahama blue paint.. Does this mean I am dissing MX-3's? Hell no.. I love my little car.. its fun and comfortable.. but I also cant stuff a V8 into it without huge hassles (though it would be interesting to see how fast it would go LOL )

Tunes67
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

The SOHC 1.8L engine, the B8, supposedly has BETTER milage than the B6, and about 100 horses or so, if you're interested in that. It came in the non-LX Proteges.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”