BOOOM fire in my exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

posted by JustinB on that board

It all started back in the day when the government started regulating vehicle emissions. The first catalytic converters were incredibly restrictive, and most cars were still runing carbs.

The cats were so restrictive that at low engine rpm, air would sometimes pass through the carb twice! Carbs were then re-jetted to compensate for this - to keep the air from getting a double-dose of fuel.

When you take one of these cars and remove the restrictive cat/exhaust to replace it with a free-flowing system, the stock carb will not work right anymore - you will not be getting enough fuel at lower rpms and will get a loss in torque. The solution - change the carb!

Modern catalytic converters are free-flowing compared to early pellet-filled versions. Modern fuel injection systems are not designed to compensate for super restrictive catlysts. Modern fuel injected cars do not need backpressure.

The truth - exhaust gas velocity

Here's the real deal about choosing an exhaust that is too big. I'm not a physicist, my understanding of fluid dynamics is very limited.... but here's my understanding.

Exhaust gases moving out of your exhaust can be used to pull other exhaust gases out of your cylinders. This is why headers are sized and the tubes matched the way they are. This effect is called scavenging. The faster the gases move, the more you benefit from scavenging.

The larger the tubing, the slower the gases move, the less scavenging occurs. (but, more ultimate flow with less restriction is possible)

The smaller the tubing, the faster the flow. (but obviously, the resistance can quickly overcome the benefit of scavenging if you start reducing your tubing size... a drinking straw simply can't flow enough for a motor)

Notice I didn't say anything about backpressure. Backpressure is just a measure of the restriction in the system. It can be caused by bends, narrow tubing, badly flowing mufflers, etc. Backpressure will be present in any system - but the less that is there the better. A large diameter system with a restrictive muffler (and therefore a high backpressure) will not gain any velocity. So now you will have to worst of both worlds - reduced scavenging and a restriction to free flow at higher rpms.

This is the reason that apexi made the N1 dual. The two pipes can support the flow of a larger pipe, but maintain better gas velocity and scavenging.

Some people claim to lose low end power when strapping on a big bore exhaust. This may be true, but it's because of a decrease in the scavenging effect, not because you don;t have enough backpressure.
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

na engines need backpressure for optimal performance, on turbocharged engines the backpressure is deliverd by the turbo.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

That's the link I posted Papa R. but that's cool ;-) It goes through the same Back Pressure Myth you quoted. Reptition helps the memory. Read this again:

Modern catalytic converters are free-flowing compared to early pellet-filled versions. Modern fuel injection systems are not designed to compensate for super restrictive catlysts. Modern fuel injected cars do not need backpressure.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

why would you take the cat off in the first place? On our small engines you wont gain enough hp for it to even matter. IMO a hi-flow cat is the best way to go, not only will your emissions be cleaner but you wont lose much hp. Has anyone tested on a dyno an mx with a cat and without. I'm guessing 1 hp increase with it removed, which is pointless on a daily driver. Its not like that 1 hp will get you anywhere faster
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Don't be so quick to judge. When my cat was fried, I was offered a test pipe instead because it was 100.00 cheaper. My decision was financial.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Black Magic wrote:na engines need backpressure for optimal performance, on turbocharged engines the backpressure is deliverd by the turbo. Bastian
Not quite. NA & turbocharged engines both require optimal exhaust velocity, not back pressure. Papa Roach's post is dead-on.

Turbo'd engines do not deliver back pressure. They deliver a greater exhaust gas volume at higher velocity than NA engines. That's why turbocharged set-ups benefit from larger bore exhausts - they can fill up that fat piping AND keep it moving at high velocity - a beautiful thing. Backpressure is not needed but high enough exhaust velocity is def a must.
Image -Jim
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

RaverChankoMX3 wrote:That's the link I posted Papa R. but that's cool ;-) It goes through the same Back Pressure Myth you quoted. Reptition helps the memory. Read this again:

i said i posted it from that link cause some people dont like to click on to other pages
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I did this for finantial situations, my original kat is clogged.. like I said I am going to get another kat..cant compare 10 dlls to 45 -80 dlls or even more for a freeflow at the moment.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”