timing???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
weaponR

timing???

Post by weaponR »

i recently bought a 94 mx-3 1.6L dohc off of my friends brother, it has 112,000 miles on it when he first got it it ran fine, then it jumped timing,
my friend put it back in time, but it ran crappy, hard to start, hesitates on acceleration, but still ran sort of ok. then they re-timed it and it still ran like crap and was fouling out plugs, i am not sure of their skills as mechanics, could it still be out of time, they left it sit where i bought it and i went to try to start it and it hits a few times for a couple of seconds then fouls out the plugs, is it most likely still timing or something else? would the car run a tooth out of time? or 2 teeth? any infor would be greatly appreciated, starting to get frustrated with mx-3's miss my SI :wink:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Did your friends replace the timing belt when it jumped time? If not that will need to be done or it will just jump again. Dont worry though it wont hurt anything in the engine, but you will need to replace that timing belt before you can properly time the engine. If they DID replace the timing belt.. best to take it to a shop and have them verify that the belt was put on correctly and that all the timing marks line up. You can read more about how to correctly set your ignition timing in the online shop manual on the main page. Dont worry the 94 & 95 are pretty much identical and the shop manual should be accurate for your car at least as far as setting the timing.

Tunes67

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”