To good to be true?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
OldCrow

To good to be true?

Post by OldCrow »

Link

heres a car Im looking into, I was just wondering if Id be better off waiting to find a V6 or just get this and try a swap, also anyone know what I should look out for maintanence wise at 130k miles?

Thanks
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

dang, I wish mine was that clean. I payed 2000 for my 93 4cyl 5 speed
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

From what I have read here.. swapping from a 4cyl to the V6 is expensive and a lot of work. If you are really after a V6 car.. you would probably be better off waiting.. Having said that.. that car looks nice and if its in as good of condition as it appears.. maybe pick it up and slap a turbo unit on it. From what I have read if you Turbo the DOHC 1.6 it makes similar power & torque to the V6. Just for reference.. I paid $1600 for my 1.6 w/atx trans and it needed a little bit of work @ 120k miles.

Tunes67
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Have you looked at the engine in that car? I am just noticing that it has GS features but its showing the RS engine? :confused2: Might be worth taking a closer look at the car.. they may have it advertised with the wrong engine. The wheels on it are the GS Alloy wheels I believe ( I could be wrong ) The add is also showing power options as well... If that is a V6.. snag it fast. ;)

Tunes67
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:Have you looked at the engine in that car? I am just noticing that it has GS features but its showing the RS engine? :confused2: Might be worth taking a closer look at the car.. they may have it advertised with the wrong engine. The wheels on it are the GS Alloy wheels I believe ( I could be wrong ) The add is also showing power options as well... If that is a V6.. snag it fast. ;)

Tunes67
My thought's exactly. And if it's not, a turbo'd four would make a nice project. I'd say it deems serious consideration.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I am just noticing that it has GS features but its showing the RS engine? Might be worth taking a closer look at the car.. they may have it advertised with the wrong engine. The wheels on it are the GS Alloy wheels I believe

Well it is an RS. If you look at it, it does not have any features of the GS.

#1 No front lip
#2 No GS rear spoiler
#3 They made the same wheels in a 14" version for the rs

there could be the possibility he took all the GS stuff off, but then there would be holes in the front bumper where the lip goes. By looking at the outside I would say it's an RS though.

The only way to tell is to call & ask if it is a V6 or 4cyl.

Good price :P Looks nice & clean!!!!

I payed $1900 for my 93 MX-3 GS 5 speed.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I didnt think the RS version came with power windows or door locks as an option.. But then I am new to the whole MX-3 scene which is why I left my self an out ;)

Tunes67
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Teal_93 wrote:
I am just noticing that it has GS features but its showing the RS engine? Might be worth taking a closer look at the car.. they may have it advertised with the wrong engine. The wheels on it are the GS Alloy wheels I believe

Well it is an RS. If you look at it, it does not have any features of the GS.

#1 No front lip
#2 No GS rear spoiler
#3 They made the same wheels in a 14" version for the rs

there could be the possibility he took all the GS stuff off, but then there would be holes in the front bumper where the lip goes. By looking at the outside I would say it's an RS though.

The only way to tell is to call & ask if it is a V6 or 4cyl.

Good price :P Looks nice & clean!!!!

I payed $1900 for my 93 MX-3 GS 5 speed.
I have all the power stuff minus the moon roof. I have the Eneki's in 14", its an rs!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: To good to be true?

Post by jschrauwen »

OldCrow wrote: heres a car Im looking into, I was just wondering if Id be better off waiting to find a V6 or just get this and try a swap, also anyone know what I should look out for maintanence wise at 130k miles?
Thanks
Like buying any other used car from a lot. Take it for a test ride (by yourself) and take it to a shop (if you have a favourite or relaible one) or Mazda dealer and have them give it a thorough once over. This is money well spent and helps to minimize the surprise factor down the road. If everything checks out - snap it up before it's gone.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
OldCrow

Re: To good to be true?

Post by OldCrow »

Went and checked it out....some minor dings and scratches that I could fix...but it kept falling out of 5th gear! synchro or maybe linkage i think.
I still think its a good deal though..1200 $ for a car with 130,000 miles on it doesnt happen to often.

Edit:No gas in car on test drive! barely made it back to dealership, whats up with that right, only got about 3 min of good time with the car, and except for the 5th gear thing it was a blast....these things are fun lil cars :P
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The tranny slipping out of 5th gear can apparently mean the trans is low on gear oil. So you may get lucky on that one. Also.. from what Yoda is saying in another thread.. 5th gear is located externally on the trans so removing the trans from the car isnt always neccessary to repair a problem with that gear. As Yoda said.. should be an hour or less of labor to repair. If I was in your shoes I would snag it.. worst case you have to do a trans swap. I would use the fact that it pops out of 5th gear as leverage against the dealer or seller and see if you could get them to drop the price ;) Good Luck man.

Tunes67

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”