Clutch Adjustment

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
skylineracing07

Clutch Adjustment

Post by skylineracing07 »

ok i have 1992 MAZDA MX3 1.6L i need to know if there is a clutch adjustment or why my clutch would be doing this ok i can be in like 3rd gear at about 3500 rpm i will punch it and it will slip for mabe 2 to 3 seconds then it will slowly grab i can smell my clutch burning so i doo whats wron some one help me please
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

sounds like your clutch might need to be bled!!
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

if it is slipping while you are not shifting, i would say that the clutch is burnt....it would slip when shifting if it needed to be bled!! I think!!!!!!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

The problem you describe does sound like a worn clutch/pressure plate which would mean a new clutch is in your not-too-distant future. How many miles on the current clutch?
Image -Jim
skylineracing07

Post by skylineracing07 »

well i think that the clutch has 136,000 miles on it i think dont quote me but also when i shift it slips too its weird
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

I would say your clutch is done and the line needs to be bled!!!! you could try bleeding the line...maybe it will grab slightly better until you get a new clutch!!!!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I had a similar issue with the clutch in my Subaru XT.. Yeah I know the car is an embarassment :oops: In my case the clutch was ok.. but the clutch cover had cracked (the housing thing with the little finger spline things) The clutch would engage and slip slightly when shifting.. would stay engaged upto about 3000 RPM then would start slipping.. Took it into Clutch Doctors and $250 later it had a all new clutch. Tech at the shop at the time bought the cover from me cause he claimed he had never seen anything like it (where it cracked) he said it was likely the result of someone over torqueing the cover when it was installed. Heh.. $20 bucks is $20 bucks so I said what the hell and sold it too him. Clutches arent that expensive to get done and if you have the time and tools they are even cheaper. I am just older and fatter now so I dont do any work on my rides that requires I get my fat Azz under my car ;) This also applies when I am not familiar with my car or whenever a particular bout of laziness strikes ;) In any case.. call around.. likely a new clutch assembly will be less than $150 and probably less than $350 to get installed. Good Luck :)

Tunes67
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

oh god..... I have an AWFUL story to tell about slippy clutches :P

When I bought my car a couple months ago for a christmas gift to myself (:P) the one thing that was really wrong with it was a slippy clutch, but it wasn't so bad so I didn't think much about it.

Here's the problem though:
Clutch slips, clutch wears down more, clutch slips more, clutch wears down more, clutch slips more, clutch wears down more, ad infinitum. You get the picture... it sucks! :)

Sooooo... one time I was driving from my school to meet my mom behind a mall nearby to go to a dermatology appointment in Boston. I told myself not to, but I went up this little shortcut road anyway... it's like a 30 degree incline, no joke... I'll take a picture of it some time :P

I got about 8 meters up, right before the first little side road, and it just starts slipping... I couldn't move. At all.

While I'm sitting there trying to figure out what to do, this BRAND NEW mercedes benz drives up right behind me (5 or 6 cm, seriously) and starts HONKING HIS HORN CONSTANTLY. He is, in essence, the prime example of a Masshole :P

Anyway, I figured that the only way I could get up to the top was to christmas tree it (did I mention this was a one way street? whoopsie :P) I held the brake down with the tip of my foot, floored the gas, and simultaneously let up on my clutch and brake. It spun a little, but I managed to make it up another meter or so to the first road, and let him pass me. Then I just zigzagged up the rest of the road.... luckily encountering no more massholes :P

Take it from me. Replace your clutch. NOW.

Driving with a slippy clutch doesn't just suck and make you look retarded, it's dangerous.

While you're at it.... swap in a BP motor.... that's what I'm doing. You have to remove the engine anyway. Do it yourself to if you have a vacation or a break or something, or find a decent mechanic to do it for cheap. A simple clutch replacement here in Massachusetts cost my friend 1200 bucks. For me? I bought a hoist, jack, BP with 55k miles, Exedy clutch, sensors, oil, new ecu and throttle body, gasket stuff, AND 4 guage wire to make grounding cables, all for around 600 bucks. Bam. :P

Btw... a brand new clutch is cheap :P I got my exedy for 105 bucks USD shipped.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”