Sequence of Events

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Sequence of Events

Post by ScooterBovine »

I was wondering what some of your opinions were on a sequence of performance modifications?

For example:

1) Engine Swap to KLZE or KLDE or what have you

2) New headers

3) New exhaust (3" is best, right?)

4) Etc

Also, if I am doing an engine swap, what should be done while you have the engine out, anyways? Such as, I should prolly put in a better clutch or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback.
No more MX-3.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

get 2.5" exhaust and if you can afford it go to an exhaust shop and get a full stainless steel exhaust system, this way it will last a long time
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yea..3 inch is to big.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

:werd: and you will def want to install a good clutch while the engine's out; it's alot easier.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I would consider replacing the clutch as an engine swap step. Along with water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, and thermostat. It also would be a good idea to change the bearings in the tensioners while the engine is out cause they're such a b---- when the engine is in the car
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Wait, isnt a 2.5 inch exhaust a little too big on a NA engine?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I always assumed that you could never get too big with the exhaust. But here's my next question: If I put in a new exhaust now, and get a new engine later, in theory, I should be able to use that same exhaust later, since it goes to the cat, and not the engine proper?
No more MX-3.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes that is true if you get a catback exhaust setup.

Heres my list that i think is a must.

1)ZE or DE
2)Clutch and lightweight flywheel
3)Exhaust
4)Suspension Setup (including brake rotors and pads for all those times you are going to be hammering the car and slowing down)...
5) Wheels with gooood rubber.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

DavidOS wrote:yes that is true if you get a catback exhaust setup.

Heres my list that i think is a must.

1)ZE or DE
2)Clutch and lightweight flywheel
3)Exhaust
4)Suspension Setup (including brake rotors and pads for all those times you are going to be hammering the car and slowing down)...
5) Wheels with gooood rubber.
David's got it!!!! IMO There are quite a number of things that are advisable to do while the engine is out but that is all dependant upon your funding situation also. A couple of links on the homepage that address some of the "should do's" during a swap.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I could list off what you really need but it's easier to post a link:

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewforum.php?f=7
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Ok well you can't have an unlimetedly big exaust, it has to have a cut off line. The main reason for an exaust system is the flow the product of the engine out and away easy, quickly, and without straining the engine itself. If its too large, it flows to slow, but if it's too small, it chokes. For a n/a i'd say that yah 2.5 is defantly the max, but alittle smaller wouldnt' hurt either.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

start with replacing the shitty 1.8 K8 engine.

Thats what I did. Bought my car for $500 with a blown 1.8. I've never actually driven a MX3 GS with the stock engine in it.

Then work from there. install headers & exhaust later. Install intake & custom s--- later. Install suspension & brake upgrades later. Just make sure all of those things are already up to OEM spec. If your brakes are already going out, replace them beofre putting a beastly motor in. You'll wanna be able to stop the car after all.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Okay, I just bought a 1993 MX-3 GS...

It has 184k miles on it, but the original motor runs like... perfect or something. Drove it for about 6 hours from where I bought it, and it runs great. :D

The guy I got it from was into Autocross Racing, so he had the following installed/purchased:

1) One of those 4 point seat harnesses (or 5 or 6, I didn't really pay attention)

2) A Pacesetter Monza catback exhaust (2 1/4")

3) Koni adjustable shock absorbers (looks like about $600 for the whole set)

4) Blizzak snow tires mounted

5) Kumho 225/50ZR15 V700 Victoracer tires unmounted

6) Momo competition steering wheel

All in all, an extremely nice vehicle, and very clean and well maintained.

So anyways, I plan on eventually swapping the engine, but for now, the stock motor seems to be working out pretty nicely. I thought it would be slower than heck (my old mx-3 had a KLDE in it), but to my surprise, it wasn't near as bad as I thought, and certainly surprised me for only being 130 hps...

So, since I am going to do the swap in the future, I was wondering what other parts I should be saving up for as well.
No more MX-3.
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I already sent you a link that has MORE than a wealth of information you need. From install to shopping list...what's the hold up?
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Haha, first...

I don't really have $1k sitting around to buy an engine.

Second...

I live in an apartment complex, and they frown on having car parts strewn all over their parking lots.

That's the hold up. :)
No more MX-3.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”