Anybody done a UK KL-ZE swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Anybody done a UK KL-ZE swap?

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Hi there,

I'm considering doing this, with a budget of around £2000 is it possible?
Since I'm in the UK all my parts will come from different sources than most people on here.... so, if there's anyone UK based who has done the swap who can give me some tips?

Cheers!
Dave
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Also some advice on insurance!

I'm not sure how it works in the states, but I'm a 20 year old male with 0 NCB's.
Premium at the moment is already £1400 TPFT with Admiral...

Cheers
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

hey man, I am not sure about how much it will cost over there, since I am located in Canada and Im sure the prices would be a bit different.

The BEST piece of advice I can give you, is read, read, and read some more. I spent a few months reading up before doing my swap, and it was worth it. This forum has BOATLOADS of info if you can find it. Click on search and start lookin for your answers. You dont need to be a mechanic to do it, Im 19 and studying to be a lawyer, with no prior automobile experience and I did the swap myself. Im sure you'll have no trouble. The key is being prepared and knowing this swap inside and out from reading.

Also check the FAQ section. :wink:
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

We've done 10 klze swaps so far, if you need a klze/stuff/advise just pm me. I do however live in Holland.

Best regards, Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
UK_MX3

Post by UK_MX3 »

the best advice i can give you is> the klze looks the same as the 1.8 if the engine numbers are shaved. At 20 i think you will struggle to insure it with the swap declared. Also unless your lucky the swap won't increase the value of your car so it's like throwing 2 grand in the bin.
Saying that if i had 2 grand to spare i'd do it straight away. With a budget of £1500 you should be able to squeeze the swap so for 2K you should be alright as long as your gonaa do the swap yourself. Otherwise you need to check with local garages as to how much they would charge.

I think there are one or two people in scotland who had ze's on order
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

hey guys, thanks for the response.

i know of a place in glasgow who have a KL-ZE, £400 for it... and it would be declared, just need to get some quotes! not liking dodgy insurance... but then again, i've heard from a few people that they look identical!

without proper research i'd probably estimate that the following would be quite good to do? aside the initial swap:

straight through stainless steel exhaust (big enough to make a difference, nothing too loud though...)
cold air induction (already in place, minus a proper cold air feed...)
lightweight flywheel (fidanza?)

anything else that's quick and easy? getting hotshot headers for example wouldn't be neccessary with the swap right?

cheers,
dave
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

here is the most important question no ones asked simply.

What year is your car? Anything 1996 and on are a bit more of a pain in the arse as its a completely different wiring harness and also the ecu has 4 slots instead of 2. I know ianl could help you out if he was nice enough to do it for you but regardless still a pain to convert.

What year is your car?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

It's a:

1994 L-Plate MX-3 1.8L V6 Limited Edition (1 of 150)

*gasps for air*
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

ok sweet you will have no probs doing a DE or ZE swap:)
wiring will slip right in essentially.

Other things to change when you normally do the swap, powersteerring pump, alternator(depending on brackets and if you do the alternator modification), all belts, ppl say waterpump as well just in case but my 2 project ZE mx3s i never did and havnt had a problem yet(knock on wood).

Also do alot of research on what you need parts wise and tools and stuff before doing a swap. If you need help finding info just ask.

All i can say is when i got my ZE i was in love the first time the second time same thing even better. It makes most other cars feel sluggish.
Then drop a dry or wet nitrous shot in as its cheaper then turbo setups for our cars.

It will all come back to budget.

Good luck with everything
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
smithy

Post by smithy »

Hey dave,

How you getting alone with your swap? I have had an MX-3 for just over a year now. (nice cars)

At the moment I have a KLZE on the floor, had it for about a month now and it should be getting fitted soon.(Fingers Crossed)

Have you had many problems along the way :?

Luke
MX-3, Honda Fireblade, cr125
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Hey Luke,

Unfortunately I have had to scrap plans as I don't want to ride without valid insurance, and it's simply too much.
So..

Yesterday I spent £1500+ on new 17" rims with tyres, Gmax 40mm lowering springs, and insuring it for a year!
End result (without the springs fitted):

1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

My babies of to black magic in holland for a KL-ZE later in the year.

You're right about the insurance by the way...its insane for this car.....

My mate has a Civic type-r and he pays less than me for insurance...even though we both have the same no claims etcs.

Goodluck with the modifiying
Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Hey UKMX-3 - nice induction kit! same as mine! ;) sounds awesome doesn't it???
Where did you get those HT leads btw, are they performance ones? And how much did they cost?

Respect!
Dave
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
smithy

Post by smithy »

It's not cheap, I have 7 years no calms and I am getting quotes for around £800.

Let us know what you think of the springs once fitted, as that is on the shopping list.

I have managed to get some fast road mintex pad's all round and some grooved discs. (hopeing to stop better)

That sounds interesting about taking the car to Holland because I did read that. Have they told you ruffley how much it will set you back? My mechanic has had the car and KLZE for over a month and it still has not been started :evil:
MX-3, Honda Fireblade, cr125
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

HT leads are Split fires - I got them straight out of the demontweaks catalogue....

Glad to see someone else has gone the HKS route....

I had a 5 inch rage backbox on before and it sounded amazing...definately turned heads...i recommend at least a 3 inch back end mate....

Cheers for checkin my site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”