Need help, My friend is worried.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad_Medeiros

Need help, My friend is worried.

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

ok, hes got a problem.. he recently stored his car about... 2 months ago, just before he stored it.. he did an oil change to 5W30, now that the car has been sitting he does start it, but very rarely...

the other day, we were checking out out... and we noticed something bad, the top of the oil cap was white/milky, and the pcv valve was clogged with this crap.

so we start the car run it for a good half hour take it for a drive... it runs perfect, doesn't overheat nada, we do notice however, its constantly making white smoke.. I don't know wether it was cold, or not but my mx-3 doesn't smoke at all, not even white smoke.. its very faint white smoke (not much at all) and very thin, anyways we shut the car off... popped off the pcv valve.. no more white crap, we check the oil (looks clean/gold)
and we notice theres not as much of this crap on the oil cap,

so whats goin on! my friend thinks his head gasket is toast... but I don't know I had one go on my old cavalier and it ran like crap!! his car is runnin perfectly fine!

btw this is a 93 gs aswell... do you guys think the white milky stuff came from the car barely being started or what? is his engine toast?
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

ok now where totally confused.. since that day we ran the car for at least 2 hours... so we checked the oil today, and now all the white s--- is gone, the pcv valve is cleared.. where stuck, maybe its cus it was sitting to long?

everything looks clean now, and the white smoke.. well it WAS -8C so... haha where stuck help.
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

If he started the car while it was stored. but he did not let it run for a long time...like maybe 5 mins. and he kept doing this, i think the crank case would get dirty because it takes a certain amount of running time /and or speed to have the crankcase ventalation system work correctly(pvc) either that are sumhow ur head gasket went bad while it was stitting. Maybe someone was secretly driveing the car ?? : P

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Does you pvc valve click when u shake? Or do u feel the valve move when u shake it. hmm maybe he just blew his head gasket before he stored it.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

did you check coolant level? is white smoke still present when u drive it?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

that happens allot in the UK in winter, normally its condensation (water) mixing with the oil on the oil cap, if the head gasket had gone the oil would still be milky, my old citreon used to get it allot when it had been sitting for a while, there obviously isnt oil all the way up to the oil cap so cold damp air can get in IMHO.

oh and the white smoke is probably steam, is it cold where u are?
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

:werd: That white stuff is from water mixing with oil. Just like Pedro said, it's most likely from the condensation now that it's colder. You probably just burned it all out (white smoke). If all's running well, I wouldn't really worry about it.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

pcv valve is fine, clicks fine its not sticking.

I check the oil on the dipstick, it looks clean/gold, coolant is all there and greenish and clean

we checked the car out the other day and now theres no white stuff.
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
RizzeRocket

Post by RizzeRocket »

whats to worry about then ??
and if he doesnt have time to run the car often tell him i take it for a spin once in a while :twisted:
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

its just wierd, I was always told white/milky oil = bad bad bad

I had a cavalier with a 2.2 OHV... sucker blew head gaskets like nothing and did the same thing with milky oil..
stock 93 GS, 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”