Auto trans prob

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
vAnDaL_Z3rO

Auto trans prob

Post by vAnDaL_Z3rO »

ok....my car turns on and everything, i put it on drive..nothign happens...put it in reverse..nothign happens...i changed the trans fluid and filter.nothign happend..what can the problem be? i have my beloved Mx in the back yard just sitting there, wanting to cruise...
93 MAZDA MX-3 GS
-1.8L V6
-Underbody Neon Kit (soon to be white)
-Altezzas
-Indiglo gauges (blue)
-DRIFT KIT
-Blue NX racing seats......covers....
Pics here http://members.cardomain.com/vandal_z3ro
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Did it do this before you changed the fluid, or did you change the fluid THEN this happened?

Any symptoms before this started? Slipping, shuddering, smells..? What did the old fluid smell and look like? If it (or is) dark brown and/or smells burnt, the tranny is finished.

Is the hold light blinking? How much fluid did you put in? How much came out when you changed it?

Check the shift mechanism, check the wiring to make sure all connectors are connected. Check the pan you drained the fluid in to, see if there are any screws, nuts, bolts, springs, etc that may have fallen out. I had that happen once, it sucked believe me.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
vAnDaL_Z3rO

yea

Post by vAnDaL_Z3rO »

yea, it was burnt. no slipping before hand. it all happend out of nowhere. it happend before i changed the fluid. no screws or anything. about 3 quarts drained out. i completely flushed it out....so pissed right now...what can i do..iLOVE MY MX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
93 MAZDA MX-3 GS
-1.8L V6
-Underbody Neon Kit (soon to be white)
-Altezzas
-Indiglo gauges (blue)
-DRIFT KIT
-Blue NX racing seats......covers....
Pics here http://members.cardomain.com/vandal_z3ro
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

yea, it was burnt.
Thats not good.
no slipping before hand. it all happend out of nowhere.
That's pretty common.
it happend before i changed the fluid.
Hopefully this wasnt the first fluid change this tranny has ever seen..?
no screws or anything.
Sorry to hear that.
about 3 quarts drained out.
That sounds a bit low especially if the car had been sitting a few days. Although I dont have experience with this specific tranny (mine was the 4cyl) this sounds low. I think I was getting 5 (?..maybe more) out of mine when I dropped the pan, its been a while dont quote me on that. However the part about "that sounds low" you CAN quote me on if you'd like. :lol:
so pissed right now
You think you're pissed now, wait until you check out rebuild prices. You'll look back on this day and consider it to be "the good ol' days.."
what can i do..
Junkyards... internet....I would be willing to bet someone on this forum has done a 5-spd swap and has an automatic sitting in a shed or tucked in a garage somewhere that they would be willing to part with.

You could do a 5-spd swap, although it may end costing you as much as a rebuild by the time you scavenge everything you need.

If you do find another automatic, flush out your cooler lines beforehand (I use aerosol brake cleaner and compressed air) and change the fluid and filter in the replacement tranny before you put it in.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I once changed the oil on an old autotranny..it killed it..why? because what was keping it alive must have been the hsavings or somthing..i sent that car to my backyards and its there now..lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Transmissions”