How do i stop headlights from acting as side/parking lights?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Wilhelm_Fink

How do i stop headlights from acting as side/parking lights?

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

When I turn the lights on (1 click) I only wanna have the lights in the bumper turn on, and not the headlights.

I've got H4 type bulbs, can i just remove 1 of the 3 prongs from the back of it?? Or maybe snip a wire somewhere?

PS... The yellow tint of the headlights is crapping up the look of my new white LED side light bulbs.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You can clear your headlights with some plastic polish.
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

...thats not actually the problem (they're glass), I'm talking about the yellowish glow of the headlight bulbs.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

silverstars are supposed to be nice and clean, white light.

can't say personally tho.. i'm tryin to get hec to make me some projectors!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

1 click on NA spec will give you just parking/side marker lights and rear lights. NA spec has daytime running lights (DRL) = Headlights on when ignition on - high beam element on lower voltage (8volts I believe). DRL will go off with application of handbrake. Not sure if you have DRL, but this may help.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'm a bit confused. What does 2 clicks do if one click turns on the headlights?

But you won't be able to just remove one of the prongs, you'd lose one beam for good (high or low). But you probably can snip a wire somewhere. Let us know what the 2 clicks does different to one click and we might be able to work something out. (Assuming you haven't got DRLs as mentioned above.)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

one click only turns on the marker lights, two puts the head lights and markers....in cars with day time running lights, the dimmed headlights(running lights) come on when the parking break is released. One click will turn on the markerlights with the running lights on, and 2 clicks put the headlights fully on(brighter light)
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

one click only turns on the marker lights, two puts the head lights and markers....in cars with day time running lights, the dimmed headlights(running lights) come on when the parking break is released. One click will turn on the markerlights with the running lights on, and 2 clicks put the headlights fully on(brighter light)
That doesn't sound like whats happening with him though, wonder if he has got DRLs..... Do they in Liverpool? :shrug:
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

(Dont have DRL's in UK)
My headlights light up with a dim glow on 1 click, they light up fully with 2.

Its the dim glow Im trying to lose so I can have just the white LED bumper lights running only, untill I put the headlights on full.
...Is it possible?
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

my guess is that's mazda's attempt to run city lights in their headlights.

I'm in Canada so I'm not too familiar with european spec's wiring, i'm writing this based on the assumption that the city light has the same wiring as our day time runners...

On one of the front strut mount, is there a power resistor sitting in a heat sink? If so just disconnect it and see what that does to the light. If you have the same wiring as our drl then that should do what you want..

if not then look for what 'clicks' when you turn on one notch of the light and we'll go from there.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Test and see which wire goes to the headlight, that gives the headlight voltage at the first 'click'. Then interupt these wires with a 12volt 20amp switch. Then when you want it off just flip the switch off.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”