Why hasnt anyone put a engine in the back?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I meant the old 87 fiero that came with the gm 2.5 4 cyl carb tbi.. i have 2 cars with that engine..i would know if it sucks.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
What

Post by What »

Chances are, if you have to ask how to do it, it's going to be costly. So much would be custom, and I've seen some very unsafe cars with projects like this. It takes a lot of planning and foresight even when you know what you are doing.

For all the hassle I would keep the engine in the front and run big turbos on both engines... a little like the twin engine Hyundia Tiburon that was in the SCC challenge several years back now.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

ooo dat would be sick! :lol: but as for the mid-engine setup, it would be instanely hard only because you'd have to move everything. scrap the back seats, relocate the gas tank (to the front like a beetle?), build custom mounts into the rear, reinforce it, and lengthen all wires and crap to the back. damn there is so much more.. just call up a shop and tell them you have big pockets and big aspirations ;)
92 Autozam AZ3
Noobi

Post by Noobi »

Let's think. You want to take the MX-3, which is small, lightweight, and FWD, and turn it into a small, lightweight, RWD car. The second description sounds suspiciously like a Miata to me. You'd be better off buying a Miata, a hardtop, and trying to make a custom hatch for it than trying to put an engine in the back of an MX-3.
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
http://www.cardomain.com/id/noobiata
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

get hachi-roku
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

Noobi wrote:Let's think. You want to take the MX-3, which is small, lightweight, and FWD, and turn it into a small, lightweight, RWD car. The second description sounds suspiciously like a Miata to me. You'd be better off buying a Miata, a hardtop, and trying to make a custom hatch for it than trying to put an engine in the back of an MX-3.
no, it would be more like a Lotus Elise or MR2. and no.. hachi's are lame and break down. LOL
92 Autozam AZ3
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Flashpoint2 wrote:Not to mention the work that would have to be done.. I mean, you have to make a space for the engine, brace it, figure out how your gonna work the drivetrain.... It would be easier just to pull the drivetrain from a Miata and modify it for the RWD. OR... the AWD from a 323GTX would be a useful mod. Just my 2 (or 3) cents.
Is it even possible to make a V6 Mx3 RWD? I heard there are no trannys that will mount on a K series.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”