Vague Suspension Feel

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
millaj01

Vague Suspension Feel

Post by millaj01 »

Hi All,

I have a 93 GS on which I performed the ZX-2 strut conversion....matched them with H&R springs. I also have a Corksport front strut tower bar and SRD aluminum crossmember that I installed. Needless to say, this setup has very nicely improved the firmness and handling characteristics of the car and I'm quite happy with it.

The only problem is that I still feel a certain sense of suspension 'vagueness' or floatiness when doing any type of harder than average cornering. I am curious as to which particular suspension components might be the root cause of this and what I could do about it. I'm assuming it may be sway bar related....Perhaps the end links simply need to be replaced? I've never replaced them and I have 125k+ miles on the car. I know people have posted previously regarding solid end link replacements for the stock ones. Would worn end links cause the type of feel I'm describing, or is is something else I should be worrying about?

Thanks for your help!

-Jay
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

your tie rod ends or ball joints might be wearing out....
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

are you using stock rims & tires? that makes a huge difference. Tire pressure also plays a factor.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Hi Gro,

Well, I've got two sets of wheels/tires for the car. The original 15's, and a new set of 17's with low profile rubber. Regardless of which set I have on, it's the same feeling....but seems to be within the suspension itself, and doesn't seem to be related to the wheel/tire combo on the car, if that makes any sense.

Perhaps a better way for me describe it would be that the car feels pretty solid at speed in a straight line (owing to the new, stiffer springs and struts), but once I start trying to load up the suspension when taking a corner it simply doesn't feel 'planted'. It feels somewhat vague, floaty, and not particularly communicative. Don't get me wrong, it gets me around a corner pretty quick, but something doesn't feel right. Certainly a ton less 'feel' than when the car was young.

I do have cam bolts on the car to compensate for the big height drop, but I took it in and got 4-corner alignment after I did the work so it should be good from that perspective.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”