thrust bearing

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
johnboi85

thrust bearing

Post by johnboi85 »

what does this actualy do? do i need it when i install coilovers? if i do where do i put it?
bp mx-3
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yes they are still needed. Ya only have em on the front and having the upper perch ride on a thrust bearing is what allows the lower strut to rotate (when steering) without binding up the spring.
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

what if the thrust bearing doesn't fit the top coilover spring perch?
bp mx-3
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Can someone get a picture of these?
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

can anyone get a pic of the ground control installation instructions?

thanks
bp mx-3
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

mine came with no instructions....its pretty self-explanatory how they fit together, although getting them to fit your strut WILL require some cutting/fabbing.

Thrust bearings, also known as strut bearings are needed on any car with struts. gc's are simply replacements for the springs, not the struts so you need to keep the thrust bearings. They sit between the top spring hat & the strutmount. Without them, turning your steering wheel is way more difficult and your car won't track straight.

they are circular, a little bigger than a half-dollar coin size and are black (the stock ones). the top peice turns seperately from the bottom peice & the bottom pece has a D shape into it so it cna sit inside the springhat without moving along with the top part. I have a pic somewhere, but its on a backed up DVD of my pictures from a couple years ago. I had pics of me installing a ZX2 one into the strut hat perch.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

If you could get some pics that would be great. Cause I don't have them in my car and I really don't know what they look like. Thanks!
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

one other thing i need help on is the rear struts. instead of a strut bearing, what goes between the top hat and the strut mount? thanks a lot. you've been most helpful
bp mx-3
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

also, what components do you reuse when converting to coilovers for both the front and the rear. for example, do you still need the stopper seat? what parts do i still reuse when converting to coilovers. thanks
bp mx-3
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i can assure you your car has strut/thrust bearings.

If you don't have them, your car will veer left or right, depending on what your last turn was. For example...if you turn right to get out of your neighborhood and start driving straight on a highway, your car will track to the right a bit b/c the struts aren't completely forward like they should be. You'll have to counter-steer to keep the car forward.

If you take a sharp left turn, then your car will track left.

How do I know? I was an idiot and didn't install them on my Protege when I originally installed my B+G springs back 3+ years ago. Drove on no bearings for about 2 weeks before correcting the situation.

As for the rear, since your rear struts don't pivot when you steer, they do not have any kind of bearing...they simply have the top strutmount which also acts as the hat/perch for the spring to press against.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

thanks gro! ok i have one more question. for the rear, when i convert to coilover suspension, the stopper seat doesn't in between the coilover springs. so where do i put them? do i remove them?
bp mx-3
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

seriously I really need to know what this looks like!! Anyone?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”