About to buy 1992 MX-3, HELP?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
CaliGirl

About to buy 1992 MX-3, HELP?

Post by CaliGirl »

Hi fellow auto-buffs!

I’m about to buy a 1992 MX-3 for $1200-1500. I'm looking to buy it in 2 days if my research comes back is positive.

I wanted to get pointers before I buy it. Is there any possible ailments this model might have that I should mechanically check? The car has 222,000mi on it that translates to 17k/year, kinda high, but freeway miles. Its a 4cyl. Automatic. I'm really excited to get a new project car, but this car is in AWESOME mechanical condition, so I hope it stays awesome if ya catch my drift!

Also please recommend some quick upgrades to get the most out of this car? Both, engine performance and body kit!

Thanks for any time or info you might be able to pass onto me : )
:froggie_red:
Primer...the color of potential
--------------------------------
1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton stepside 235ci

1964 Chevy Corvair 140HP

1998 Dodge Dakota 4cyl
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: About to buy 1992 MX-3, HELP?

Post by mitmaks »

welcome to the board, car should be good ride, of course manual transmission would be better, they last longer and add more mpg vs auto transmission. Get maintenance done, oil, brakes, filter ets. PUt on ebay intake, cheap, affordable upgrade. Run synthetic fluids if you can afford them. As far as more performance, only way is swap engine.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

double posting is not necessary. check other post for my response.
bp mx-3
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

Originally posted by mitmaks:
welcome to the board, car should be good ride, of course manual transmission would be better, they last longer and add more mpg vs auto transmission. Get maintenance done, oil, brakes, filter ets. PUt on ebay intake, cheap, affordable upgrade. Run synthetic fluids if you can afford them. As far as more performance, only way is swap engine.
MITMAK,
Thx so much! info means alot at this point. As I told JOHN I dont want to find out that MX-3 likes to launch pistons out the side off the engine block after I buy itya know :2thumbsup: Oh yeah Im jealous of ur CHARGER, kick AZZ CAR DUDE!
Primer...the color of potential
--------------------------------
1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton stepside 235ci

1964 Chevy Corvair 140HP

1998 Dodge Dakota 4cyl
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

if its the RS, ie 4 banger, i would pass. no matter how CUTE she is.
why? its the small engine. Get the one with a bigger 4 cylinder ie 93- 94-95
more horsepower, dohc not sohc.
also auto is too sluggish get a stick.
take care
and welcome
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Remember, the 92 is only 88HP in the 4cyl. In 94 they went to DOHC and up to 105HP.

Also, any of the GS's are V6 with 130 HP. (years 92-94 in the US, 92-96 in CAN)
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Having owned (and still driving) both, I'd definitely recommend the GS. If not, at least get a stick; you'll have alot more fun driving her, and it'll last longer. Still, an Mx-3 is THE way to go, and I still love my bone stock 92 ATX RS :wink:

And chicks are always welcome to our community!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The rs is a good car to take you to work and around town, I wouldnt not turn it into a project car, you can fidn a gs for arond 1500 or 2000. Then again the mx3 looks like a very nice car to drive around, you can fix it up for looks which is pretty much what I am doing. SInce I am low on funds at the moment. You can get custom civic projectors, carbon fiber hood, rims and some tail lights and even a kit.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
csdude

Post by csdude »

I have a standard 4-cylinder stick '92, and love it to death. I've had it for 2 years now, and even though I took it for a piece of crap when I bought it, I found that most of the issues it had were from lack of maintenance and very minor.

So far, I've gone through a new distributor ($40) and timing belt, and the drivers side CV joint was going bad when I bought it. Also, the drivers side window switch was broken, and I've had a pain trying to find a replacement. Recently, the passengers side power seat belt broke, too, but hey, it's 13 years old!

Also, I do tend to go through some brake fluid (I top it off every 3 or 4 months), but I think that's because of a bad seal. It's been like that since I bought it, and I blame it on poor maintenance from the previous owner.

Other than that, I'm finding that you can do some major upgrades for pretty cheap. I'm installing a $600 body kit right now, and this car is just made for a stereo system. Wheels are my next upgrade.

I almost forgot: this thing takes curves like a Porsche. 88HP or not, I live on a curvy road, and the MX-3 takes them better than any car I've ever had.

If you enjoy working on a car yourself, it's really pretty easy to work on, and so far I've had great luck with its durability. If it's in good condition, then for the price I think it's a great buy.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

csdude wrote: this thing takes curves like a Porsche. 88HP or not, I live on a curvy road, and the MX-3 takes them better than any car I've ever had.
:werd: I love taking the 35mph curves at 60+. The GS handles even better!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
csdude

Post by csdude »

I just finished installing a Drift kit a few days ago, and had it on the road for the first time today. I swear, a curve that I use to take at 45, I can now do at 60!

My other car is a Sunbird, and the best I can do with it on this curve is 35. So this is a MAJOR increase. Can't wait to paint the car now that the kit is in place (sorta).

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”