How to remove gauges and gauge dash trim

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MHMX-3

How to remove gauges and gauge dash trim

Post by MHMX-3 »

i am installing the ebay glow gauges and cannot get the dash off to get the gauges out. I took off the three screws on the underside of the sun gaurd thing, but where do i go from there?
Taras

Re: How to remove gauges and gauge dash trim

Post by Taras »

There are two more behind two rubber flaps on each side of the bottom part of that piece.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yeah for the 92-93..don't know if 94+ dashes are the same
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

how do i get to those screws without breaking that flap, or should i just try to bend it away so i can remove the screws?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Flaps are rubber, you will not brake them, unless you refer to something else.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

i am sorry maybe i dont under stand bc there are two things that could be what you are talking about. Are you talking abou the rubber flaps that are on top of the steering column, or are you talking about on either side of the steering column, still attatched to the plastic piece that houses the hazard button, a flap of plastic that could be bent towards you if you take apart a bunch of your dash? Thanks for the help, you guys are the ****
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

he was talking about the rubber flap on top of the steering column
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

hey i got it thanks guys, ill post pics of them installed when i finish if you all want, unless i have another question...
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

hey sorry to bother but, the gauge instructions say to connect the red wire from the power inverter(the black box that all the wires are connected to from the gauges) to the parking light power supply. WHERE IS THAT WIRE! and where should i connect the black wire for ground?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Hey, I connected my 'Red wire' to the ignition wire on my radio, and the ground can go anywhere that is grounded (Such as the frame, or onto the ground wire from the radio again). This way when i turn the key onto accessory the dash automatically lights up even if your headlights are off.
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

bmw guy, dont your gauges always turn on then when you start your car, including during the day? To everyone else, do you know where the head light power supply is, to hook up the gauges to. I have found a couple of wires together in some insulation that i think are them. There is one that is red, black and green
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

to find wire colors for any car, go to www.bulldogsecurity.com very helpful when installing alarms and such.
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

can someone tell me where i hook up my red power wire to from my gauges to. It is supposed to hook up to the parking light power supply, but that or the head light power supply would be great. And where to find that wire would also be nice. Thanks guys
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

hey just be sure to shave the back of your needles, more specifically your tach needle, i installed guages and they look great but the needle sticks now. it will periodically jump up and down but i never really know where the tach is. so now i need to rip apart the dash again to remedy this situation. :roll:
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

jester - where did you attach the power wire from the gauges to. and if you know could you tell me where to find the head light power supply and/or the parking light power supply cause thats where the directions say

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”