Projector Headlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Projector Headlights

Post by wyldside »

I'm currently working on a Mold for dual Hella 90mm lenses. D2S HID Low Beam and H9 High Beam. This will pretty much replace the whole headlight assembly. For now I just want to get it to work on my car but after that I might make a few more for others. If someone else makes better ones then I won't even bother making more.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Taras

Post by Taras »

James,

What are you ousing for the mold? A set of Hella dual beams for Focus or A3?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

I'm hoping to make my own custom mold from scratch. Time to test my art skills again...

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</small>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Hey Taras,

Do you recomend sticking with out headlight lense cover or do suggest just removing it and leaving the bare Hellas? I could probably modify another type of lense to fit onto the car. Maybe not as extreme as Chris here in Calgary has done with the MP5 headlights but maybe something like RSX lights.

<small>[ October 06, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: WyldSide ]</small>
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by WyldSide:
Do you recomend sticking with out headlight lense cover or do suggest just removing it and leaving the bare Hellas? I could probably modify another type of lense to fit onto the car. Maybe not as extreme as Chris her in Calgary has done with the MP5 headlights but maybe something like RSX lights.
Well, even though I'm not Taras and no one seems to believe me still, I have pretty much the same set-up as Taras - but without the FF50 driving light.

I've been using mine in all conditions for a few months now, so I know what they're like in all aspects.

I sanded my lenses down, and even with their yellow ting (from being too old) they pose no problems and don't interfere with the projector beam at all either. They just look like pure white.

If you're going to make your own lense, then I wouldn't use anything thicker than 1/8" perpex (or lexan if you want). Perspex has a greater scratch resistance than lexan, but it's a tad bit more expensive.

If you want to just use another lense from another car, try using the 1999-2000 MX-5 headlight lenses. They're almost a perfect fit. I have them sitting beside me right now, so I do know.

I'm not Taras, but hopefull this helps.

~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

OH MAN those are sick! :D
but wait a sec.. the big one is low beam, correct? lol i'm kinda lost. i've also been thinkin about this, by just takin out my headlights, removing the bulbs, and bolting the two lights in (hella angel eyes for high beams and i dunno bout low beam).. just wondering what is a good low beam to use. thanx guyz.. btw JDM those things look killer!!
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by Sam Baker:
OH MAN those are sick! :D
but wait a sec.. the big one is low beam, correct? lol i'm kinda lost. i've also been thinkin about this, by just takin out my headlights, removing the bulbs, and bolting the two lights in (hella angel eyes for high beams and i dunno bout low beam).. just wondering what is a good low beam to use. thanx guyz.. btw JDM those things look killer!!
~ sam
The projector is a bi-xenon. It has low beam and high beam in one unit using one HID bulb. There is a shield that moves via a motor that activates the high beam function.

If you're going to make your own projector headlights, then you need to figure out how much you want to spend and what you want out of the lights.

If you don't want to skimp out, then get an HID low beam projector, or bi-xenon if you have to have the best.

For high beam, unit a Hella 90mm unit. If you don't care about the shape of the light, then there are other options, like the Hella FF50 Taras is using.

~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
blikmik

Post by blikmik »

hey JDM what is that application for?
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Looks like VW Golf kit. And is that you Mike?
I thought you disapeared off the face of the earth. Email me with your cell #.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Taras

Post by Taras »

VW Golf IV Triple Round Hella Headlights
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

WOW WOW think it will fit? and how much? where at? ohhhh maaannn that would be a lot easier than building my own. could just mount that 3-light thang in and hook it up! guess its all about sizes huh.. nice tho very nice :2thumbsup:
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Hey Taras,
I'd say that light would look pretty cool if you could just use that housing with out the black cover. I don't know if you'd like to put that inside our existing headlight or make your own cover/lense. Maybe if that light and cover would fit, you could add fibreglass onto it and give it more of a custom shape to our car. I hope that makes some sense. I'm terrible at explaining things.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Taras

Post by Taras »

Until we know the sizing, we would not know. Possible though, but not fitting into our own headlights, but as a stand alone with modified brackets and front plastic cover. Anyone wants to order one from a Hella dealer and try? A Ford Focus one be a better option in my opinion as it is only double round, without the blinker that we do not need anyway there. But I would wait for Barry to finish his. Great idea though.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

How's the beam pattern like for bixenon's high beam? Maybe I could bother Aiden or JDM to take a picture?

I'm asking because I just got a set of ecode bixenon projectors and if the reach isn't ideal then maybe I should include spot or pencel beam halogen driving lights in the housing too.

Anyways, thanks for the input!

Eugene

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”