Need help from you ATX gurus

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Need help from you ATX gurus

Post by Nallboy »

Ok here's what's up:
My ATX RS was rear-ended last October. I just straightened out the frame and put a new bumper and hatch on it so I could drive it while I do my ZE swap in my GS. Well, the second day I drive my RS (Sunday), I accidentally bumped it into neutral while pulling into a friend's driveway. It revved up a little and I put it back into drive. I parked facing a fence on a small decline. When I tried to pull out it wouldn't reverse. A friend pulled (dragged) me out, and I drove home(drive works fine). Now, Reverse surges forward about 6" then acts like Park, Neutral acts like Drive, the others are the same. Also in Park/Reverse, it won't rev over 2500 RPM. There is no Reverse or Neutral anymore. I figured I'd change the fluid. The filter had 1/4" teeth in it and the ATX fluid looked like it had never been changed. I changed the filter and fluid and put a treatment in it, but nothing's changed. I plan on taking it apart, but if you know what's up, Please help! I hate ATX!!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
guyaverage

Re: Need help from you ATX gurus

Post by guyaverage »

1/4" teeth in it? You mean gear teeth? Something is terribly, terribly broken here. Assuming you have thoroughly checked out the shifter mechanism/cables etc, tearing it apart is about your only option. This isnt a beginners project either. You might want to go to a junkyard to get one you know is bad (if you can find one) get it cheap (if they dont just give it to you) and tear it apart FIRST so you know what you are looking at. This tranny sounds like toast to me.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

If you have anything better than a fingernail tip in your filter you have a cooked tranny. If there's gear teeth in the filter you've completely sheered a gear in most cases. The RPMs must have been REALLY high for that to happen on a 4cyl car.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Yeah, that's what I figured, but the rpms were only about 5K or less. My grandma's car sheared a gear, but it happened gradually because she'd never changed the fluid. It had tons of metal flake in it; mine didn't. I wasn't flooring it or anything, and I don't see how that would have screwed up Reverse and Neutral. I'm thinking the linkage got messed up as well. Prob gonna take it apart tonight. Only got 3 1/2 hours sleep last night though, so it might have to wait.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."

Return to “Transmissions”