Shifting question!!

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Coodoodxx

Re: Shifting question!!

Post by Coodoodxx »

This is a great subject, for the longest time ive been the biggest *****, not pushing my car, and always shifting b4 6000 rpm, always afraid id wrech somthing. But i always thought that if you still had the gas pushed down and shifting gears that it would be hard on the clutch, does this wear it down quicker. Oh yah, and do any of you double clutch, if you do, how is it done properly, ive had 4 different explanations, and they are all different. I think it would be a good thing to know. :D
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
racing all the time

Post by racing all the time »

From what I have read and tried, double cluthching is a technique used to downshift without puting strain on the engine and transmision. When you want to downshift you shift into nuetral and pop the cluch then rev the engine to get the transmision moving the speed that the engine is moving. When you shift into gear, there is no lurch and it is a smooth acceleration. I have been testing this technique, and it works well. It also saves your syncros in your transmision. <p>ps. I just joined the site and am pleased that there are mor mx-3 drivers that love their cars.
Michael
pelado

Post by pelado »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Speed:

...When you want to downshift you shift into nuetral and pop the cluch then rev the engine to get the transmision moving the speed that the engine is moving. When you shift into gear, there is no lurch and it is a smooth acceleration...
<hr></blockquote><p>Something's out of sequence here. Push in the clutch, shift to neutral, revving the engine to match the speed of the transmission (not the other way around), shift to lower gear, let out clutch.<p>From what I understand, double clutching is a term from the days of non-synchromesh transmissions (I'm 45 and this is before my time so I don't have a good feel for what it really means). You HAD to get the engine to match the speed of the trans or the gears would grind.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
EvyllChyld

Post by EvyllChyld »

You should be able to push it to "red line" i have many times, either peeling out and the RPM's go so high so quick i forget to shift and and hit red line. or racing and i bring it to red line in 1st gear.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I rev the piss out of my motor, honestly, it just won't stop running. I'm waiting for it to die so I'm "forced" to do a motor swap but no suck luck 215k and still pulling hard...When I race/drive normally I take first to 7k all the time, I think im gonna push it a little harder though and start shifting at 7400.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i read an article on double clutching. the guy who wrote it said that it was useless since transmissions have synchros. unless of course your synchro is going out or something.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

I almost always double clutch while slowing down to a stop or into a turn because it really saves the clutch. I never double clutch when upshifting though. This is where the syncros really come into play. What I believe (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) is that if you downshift without double clutching, the clutch does a lot of the braking bringing the transaxle and the engine to the same speed. By double clutching, you match the speed of the transaxle and the engine so there is a lot less slipping. The downshifts are very smooth, and you can let the clutch out quickly. With the corners, the car is closer to the power band so coming out of the corner is nice and quick.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pelado:
<p>Something's out of sequence here. Push in the clutch, shift to neutral, revving the engine to match the speed of the transmission (not the other way around), shift to lower gear, let out clutch.<p><hr></blockquote><p>This is close, but I believe the correct term for this is rev matching. It is similar to double clutching, but the clutch only goes in once per shift. You speed up the engine to about the same speed as the what the transmission is spinning. It is a litter easier to do, but harder to get a smooth shift.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Speed:
<p>From what I have read and tried, double cluthching is a technique used to downshift without puting strain on the engine and transmision. When you want to downshift you shift into nuetral and pop the cluch then rev the engine to get the transmision moving the speed that the engine is moving.<p><hr></blockquote><p>This is the same thing as I was taught on how to double clutch.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”