Squeeking! driving me INSANE

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
manowar821
Supporting Member

Squeeking! driving me INSANE

Post by manowar821 »

I bet its the brakes or something, but I got my MX-3 in febuary/march, and about 1 1/2 months later it started squeeking in the front, sort of on the drivers side. When I put the brakes on all the way, it stops, but if I've been driving for a while, and push the brakes down about half way, it kind of POPS/shutters and I can feel it through out the car. The squeek and the pops all happen with every wheel rotation... So I roll down a road and start breaking, and it sounds like "squeeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueekPOPPOPPOP POP POP POP POP and stop".
I haven't taken it to the shop yet because I haven't had time.. Besides, I bet I can fix it if I knew what it was. Pads maybe? or the Roters could be crooked... I DUNNO! Help please
lakersfan1

Re: Squeeking! driving me INSANE

Post by lakersfan1 »

Make sure the current pads have the proper shims behind them. If they do, apply anti-squeel to the back of the pads. Make sure you grease the guides for the calipers.
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Make sure the current pads have the proper shims behind them. If they do, apply anti-squeel to the back of the pads. Make sure you grease the guides for the calipers.
what are the proper shims? :shrug:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Could possibly be a warped rotor but that would be surprising assuming you are using solid stock/OEM rotors. Sounds more like a bad CV joint started squeaking as it started going bad and the play in the worn joint has reached the point where partial braking is placing just the right amount of stress on it to cause that popping noise.

Does the noise change or occur at all when you are just starting to accellerate, like from a stop, or when the car is turning slow/fast/slightly/sharply?
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

sounds like warped rotors and worn pads. Maybe previous owner kept turning the rotors too thin.
or scammed u and put it through a safety test with new equipment then changed it back to the old stuff when he gave you the car.
just saying cause it happenned to my brother a while back, - turned into a small court case......
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

It tends to pause for just a second when I hit a nice bump, or turn REAL sharp.
I don't know if it could've been a scam, because when I test drove it, and for the first month or so it was fine. You never know though...
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Dude, as far as brakes go, you can get them checked for free at Val-U Brakes (fka Brake Depot) if you've got those up there. Get an estimate and then go pick up the parts & DIY. Right after I got my GS, I got mine checked. I was quoted $430 for new pads and rotors. "Ok, thanks, man. See ya later." I went by Advance and got the whole setup for under $50. Took me an hour. Well worth it.
Then again, it sounds like your prob might be more serious, like the CV joint. Not a hard DIY there either though. Good luck!
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by manowar821:
what are the proper shims? :shrug:
An OEM brake pad kit would come with all kinds of shims, clips, and spacers depending on the car. Alot of cheap brake pads you buy in the store don't come with them. You could just reuse the old ones to a certain degree, but if you live in an area that has snow, they can start rusting after several years, and you should get new hardware. Sometimes you can buy it seperately if you ask for 'brake hardware', but sometimes you just have to buy the pads from the dealership to get the hardware included.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”