HELP! suspension makes a clicking noise

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
eore

HELP! suspension makes a clicking noise

Post by eore »

Can anybody tell me why my suspension makes a clicking noise? also the steering is off center now? do i just need an alignment? or is it something else? any help is greatly appreciated.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: HELP! suspension makes a clicking noise

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you would have to be more specific about your noise..when do your hear the sound..

and about your steering, yeah probably an alignement will do the job
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
eore

Post by eore »

it starts clicking when i start moving. one click and then thats about it until the next time i have to stop an go again. i'm really starting to think that it is the cv joint. well sam is gonna take a look at it for me tomorrow so we'll see wat it is.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Clicking is the c.v. and an alignment should cure the off center problem. Good luck :2thumbsup:
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
SLUmx3

Post by SLUmx3 »

Normally a CV joint will make a few clicks it wouldnt just be one click, only my opinion since I work on cars all day. I actually have the same problem with my MX and i just realized it tonight on my way home from work, I am taking a look at it tomorrow and if I find anything more helpful I will let everyone know.
SLUmx3

Post by SLUmx3 »

Hey Guys, so I took a look at my car today, found out my drivers side CV shaft has some play in it on the inner side...so I get to get a new one of those now...but good advice for a place to look for everyone else.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

LOL you beat me to it while I was typing my reply:p

C.V's make all kinds of noises. A click when the car begins to move is a worn joint 99% of the time. It's beacause theres freeplay in the joint due to major wear. When you stop, load is taken off of the joint. When you start moving again, load is applied to the joint which turns through the freeplay until makes solid contact with the wheel side of the joint. That is where the noise comes from.

<small>[ July 30, 2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: mazdubber ]</small>
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
SLUmx3

Post by SLUmx3 »

yeah, The sad part is my car got hit last winter and the shop had to replace that CV Shaft....well i know they last more than a year, so i think I may have got the shaft. Anyways, its all in the past now. Thanks for all the help guys.
eore

Post by eore »

yea now the clicking is more frequent in my car on the passenger side. an i can feel it wen i'm sitting in the passenger side, time to take it to the shop and have them look at it an give me an estimate on how much it'll cost to fix. :( .

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”