Tire wear on the sides, splitting

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Taras

Re: Tire wear on the sides, splitting

Post by Taras »

One thought to consider is where you guys are storing these tires in the winter and with what pressure inside. I would make sure they are not somewhere in the warm basement where stove is or close by a heating element. That will dry up tires and make them crack like that. Also, I think tires must be deflated a bit for storing as well as stored in its sidewall, not tread standing up.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
blikmik

Post by blikmik »

How are your struts and springs? My rear drivers side was doing this due to a broken spring... hard to notice when you look at the car, but when the car was lifted it became quite apparent... the tire only rubbed on the body (fender) when the car hit a hard bump on the road, hence you don't "think" by a quick visual inspection that that's the problem. Check it out...
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Originally posted by blikmik:
How are your struts and springs? My rear drivers side was doing this due to a broken spring... hard to notice when you look at the car, but when the car was lifted it became quite apparent... the tire only rubbed on the body (fender) when the car hit a hard bump on the road, hence you don't "think" by a quick visual inspection that that's the problem. Check it out...
Struts(ZX2) are brand new this year, springs(apex) are a year old.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Looks to me like you're zx2 strut bases are rubbing against you're tires a bit. I had to shave ~5mm off each strut base when i had my zx2's installed :\.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
Looks to me like you're zx2 strut bases are rubbing against you're tires a bit. I had to shave ~5mm off each strut base when i had my zx2's installed :\.
explain to me how the base of the strut ( which is located inside the wheel well ) is rubbing on the outstde of his tire? :p
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yeah, i've never heard of zx2 struts rubbing on anything.

But it does look like you are rubbing against something in that pic....it looks like a fresh cut, not wear and tear.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The company I work for sells and installs these Toyo FZ4's. The problem is the air pressure is too LOW. When you run low pressures with these tires, the sidewalls will split from overloading the tire(new or old. It does'nt matter) The FZ-4's sidewall is relatively thin, compared to my Pirelli P7000's, I can run a slightly lower pressure on the street while still not overloading the tires. A 35, 40, and 45mm aspect ratio will need around 36 to 40 psi. A 50-55 aspect ratio running with factory rims should have the factory recomended air pressure. I think it's 32psi for the GS's.

A general rule of thumb, for every plus size you go up, add 2-3psi to your tires.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”