GC spring rate stuff

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
thebox

GC spring rate stuff

Post by thebox »

ALrighty, I'm gonna order myself some GCs. I do not know what spring rates I should get however. I read on the board a couple people ran 275 front and 375 rear without any problems... but I always thought you want a stiffer spring in the front? I don't want to ask for a higher rate in the back if its gonna be better the other way around... I have H&R springs in my car now but I want something stiffer, as well as lower ride. I don't remember what H&Rs rates are but I want stiffer than them. I did do much reading on the subject already in the forum but didn't find a whole lot that is useful. A lot of guessing mostly... anyone got facts? =) thanks!! p.s. can you buy the GCs from corksport with custom rates or would i be better off going from GCs website? yeah corksport isnt the best for service but they are very close to where i live so shipping is fast as hell.
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
ProtegeSTS

Re: GC spring rate stuff

Post by ProtegeSTS »

without expensive custom shocks, you CANNOT lower a EC chassis more than 1.5" and keep "good handling".<p>There's a FACT for you.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Ok so lowered 1.5 inches, what would some good spring rates be? And stiffer then H&R's for buddy up there.. Paired with ZX2 struts.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by T-Rose:
Ok so lowered 1.5 inches, what would some good spring rates be? And stiffer then H&R's for buddy up there.. Paired with ZX2 struts.<hr></blockquote><p>I don't think there's a good option for regular coil springs stiffer than H&Rs and Eibachs. I don't know if the B&Gs are stiffer, but the Intrax and Jamex springs (which I have heard are stiffer) have received mixed reviews on the board.<p>If you're serious about wanting stiffer, call Ground Control and tell them what struts you're using and what your intended purpose is and they can sell you just about any spring rate imaginable with the coil over kit.<p>Remember when stiffening struts and springs: Tires do no good if they're not on the ground. Springs and struts are for absorbing imperfections in the road and controlling weight transfer between the front and rear of the car. Anti-sway bars are for keeping your car level in the turns and controlling weight transfer between the sides of the car.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Can't comment on specific rates but I presonally would put stiffer springs in the rear. That would help with the understeer the MX-3 has from the factory.<p>How much are the GC's anyway? I thought Isaw ontheir site it was $399 per end, as in $800 to do the whole car.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I think the retail is $399 for a set of all 4. I got my set of 4 off of someone selling them on this board for $300 shipped, never used. Not a bad deal i think. Im just not sure what the spring rates are, guessing they are the GC "factory" rates that they use when you dont ask for a certain one.
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

the motion ratios are different between the BG and EC chassis cars, but if you have a rear sway bar, id suggest:<p>300 front, 250 rear<p>without an aftermarket rear bar, 300 front, 300 rear
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
thebox

Post by thebox »

Thank you for the suggestions ProtegeSTS! I'm glad to see you back on the boards, you are really important here, and I know others agree. I should've phrased the initial post differently, it was obviously annoying/stupid. =)
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by thebox:
ProtegeSTS! I'm glad to see you back on the boards<hr></blockquote><p>word

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”