Should I turn off ABS - it's annoying and other ?'s

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Rick Johnson

Should I turn off ABS - it's annoying and other ?'s

Post by Rick Johnson »

If i pull my ABS fuse that will kill the abs right? will the dash light come on? I live in saskatchewan and it snowed like a byatch, and my tires are bald and im sick of the abs turning on every time i brake, I think the ABS comes on prematurely, I would rather feather the brakes my self <I'm a purist>. and also has anyone noticed this. But when im braking to stop on ice and the abs is clunking, and i put it into first gear while stopping it grinds. it is soo damn annoying its like when ABS is working I cant shift properly. Is this just my car? <p>Also whats everyone's opinion on the ABS on our cars...i gotta say, it seems like the ABS is slow, what i mean is the pulse/rate is slower than newer cars but i guess thats to be expected.<p>One last thing, does anyone know the 60-0 stopping distance for our cars? any diff between RS/GS? there should be
pelado

Re: Should I turn off ABS - it's annoying and other ?'s

Post by pelado »

Go ahead and try it. I recall seeing a test where ABS does not work well on snow/ice nor does it do well on gravel/dirt roads.<p>I would look for worn motor mounts first for the shifting problem.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
maldo

Post by maldo »

Where in SK are you? That was quite the dump Mother Nature did, eh?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mazstyle:
I live in saskatchewan and it snowed like a byatch, and my tires are bald and im sick of the abs turning on every time i brake, Is this just my car?
<hr></blockquote>
Hmmm. Not to sound like an azz but maybe you should look into some new tires? After that your abs should work correctly.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Haha yea i have a near new set of potenza's re910's on 16's but i dont like the rims anymore, so im waiting to buy some new ones then put em on. <p>Chris I live in S'toon, what about yourself?
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I pulled the ABS fuse, the orange dash light is on now, but the abs is disabled. And wow what a difference, i like it way better, but that dash light is damn annoying so i will prolly put the fuse back in after i drive it a little more.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What you could alwaya do it have a switch hidden somewhere that turn on and off the ABS and the light as well
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Yea man, I was driving and i thought the same thing, minus the switch for the dash light....but a switch for the abs would be nice...
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

take the bulb out from behind the cluster if its annoying, I have seen tests where threshhold braking created a shorter distance than abs... I'm about 5 hours from you guys... ;)
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mazstyle:
Yea man, I was driving and i thought the same thing, minus the switch for the dash light....but a switch for the abs would be nice...<hr></blockquote><p>What do you is get a 2-position switch that handles 2 circuits, one for the light, one for the ABS. Radio Shack has them for a few bucks, i use them in my computers baybus to control my fans, its a 3 way switch however that controls 12v/off/7v<p>
So when you flip the switch on, it completes for the abs fuse, turning it on (you'll prolly need a relay for this), and also the the switch will complete the 2nd circuit that'll be used for the light and turn in on, you'll prolly need the light for diagnostics when you have abs turned on<p>The last thing you need is to turn on the ABS, and not have the light work, to tell you there is actually something wrong when you'll need it, but wont be on to annoy and tell you that the fuse isnt there..<p>[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”