Strut question... do i need them?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
projectMX3

Strut question... do i need them?

Post by projectMX3 »

I was wondering if i need to get new struts for my 94 RS? I was planning on getting coilovers of some sort... and dropping the car down 2" to fill my wheel gap.
nope-mx3

Re: Strut question... do i need them?

Post by nope-mx3 »

I would believe that you should swap the shocks aswell. 2" drop is alot more than what the stock shocks can handle.<P>IMO, I don`t think any shocks for the mx3 will be able to handle 2" lowering for long... Then again, I might be wrong :)<P>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ummmmm mx-3's have struts not shocks [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
mx-3 12acer

Post by mx-3 12acer »

Has anyone tried just buying coilovers and not new struts? I was just wondering, I don't plan on using my car for autocross, I just want to make it look a little better, so like Project I want to lower my car some (around 1.75 to 2.00"). <P>Thanks :D
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>ummmmm mx-3's have struts not shocks :)<BR>I`m from Norway, so I haven`t actually got a clue on the difference between shocks & struts. If someone could enlighten me, it would be nice :)<P>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectMX3:<BR><STRONG>I was wondering if i need to get new struts for my 94 RS? I was planning on getting coilovers of some sort... and dropping the car down 2" to fill my wheel gap.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>With the Ground Control coilovers, you can only get about a 1.75" drop without trimming the strut spring perch. But unless you are just showing the car, going lower will not be a great idea. I have my coilovers as low as they'll go without trimming, and the wheels are even with the wheel well. Also, the front is already VERY low and I have to be careful going over speed bumps and driveways.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
mx-3 12acer

Post by mx-3 12acer »

Thanks, that is good to know. That would suck to screw up my front end just to be .25"+ lower. Did you buy knew struts with your coilovers? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx-3 12acer:<BR><STRONG>Thanks, that is good to know. That would suck to screw up my front end just to be .25"+ lower. Did you buy knew struts with your coilovers? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well anything beyond 1" lowering without fairly high spring rates will screw up your handling.<P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”