Turbo 2.5L...Too much power?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
hierophant73

Turbo 2.5L...Too much power?

Post by hierophant73 »

I am in the stage of doing an engine swap for the 2.5L KLZE 30. However, the more research I do, I keep reading one thing....10:1 Compression is too high for a turbo. However, I've read articles of people who have done it, and it seems to work alright. I don't know, has anyone done this yet? Should I replace my pistons, or could i just replace the slugs? Thanks guys, let me know. I'll have to post some pics when I'm done with this car. It's all show and no go right now, but I'm hoping to fix that if the turboed 2.5 will work without putting some new holes in my hood...
Talon_66

Re: Turbo 2.5L...Too much power?

Post by Talon_66 »

You can turbo it. Its the tuning and making sure your getting enough fuel to the engine.

I believe Sean Matthew's MX3 has a KLZE w/ 7psi daily driven. And I believe its been that way for 2 or more years.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

You know what the HP on that motor is?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I think it was about 270
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
hierophant73

Post by hierophant73 »

With The swap alone, I'm expecting about 200hp, as to thats what most of the resources say. I am going to be doing a stage two turbo kit, with all stage 2 components, like intercooler and so on. But I was worried about the compression being too much for the turbo. But I'm thinking if it's tuned properly, along with upgraded fuel rails and such I can probaly safely push about 12lbs of boost. Just wante to get some fellow opinions.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

forget about the 12psi boost..you'll blow your engine to bits..if you want to run let say 9psi on a ze you better be running a stand alone fuel management system...a goog EFECTIVE intercooler, water injection is a + enough fuel for it (no need yet for a modded fuel rail just better injectors)

and people don't say to me you'll blow your engine on 9 psi cause i saw some daily driver and never ruined their engines and the set-up was untuned
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by hierophant73:
With The swap alone, I'm expecting about 200hp, as to thats what most of the resources say. I am going to be doing a stage two turbo kit, with all stage 2 components, like intercooler and so on. But I was worried about the compression being too much for the turbo. But I'm thinking if it's tuned properly, along with upgraded fuel rails and such I can probaly safely push about 12lbs of boost. Just wante to get some fellow opinions.
It's not a matter of the turbo handling it.. it'a a matter of making sure the engine doesn't run too lean with 11:1 compression (yes, the KLZE is 11:1 not 10:1) you will probably get like 190-195hp out of it at the flywheel n/a. 12lbs is going to require some careful fuel mods..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

i dunno where your getting that the ZE is 11:1 because any ZE I've ever had or seen have all been 10:1........

As far as boosting that, 10:1 is deffinately do-able, it's just harder to tune and more sensitive to proper tuning. There's a great article in the v6 FAQ about compression and boost you should check out. Really good read.
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

KL-ZE 10:1
KL-DE 9.2:1

if you were thinking we were talking about KL-DE and not ZE
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Yeah. Every form of documentation I have ever read says the KLZE is 10:1. I would love to see anything to prove otherwise.
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by mdavis:
It's not a matter of the turbo handling it.. it'a a matter of making sure the engine doesn't run too lean with 11:1 compression (yes, the KLZE is 11:1 not 10:1) you will probably get like 190-195hp out of it at the flywheel n/a. 12lbs is going to require some careful fuel mods..
sorry bud the klze is 10:1 not 11:1. and 12 psi is going to require more than just some fuel mods. TRUST ME ive been building my kfze (same compression as the klze) and im just simply trying to run max 8psi, ive done head and valve work and im still not close enough to run 8psi safely. and Babyblue is right wet injection ( you spray water in through your intake which will lower the chance of combustion) is a good choice in running higher boost, but with that your shortening your engine life even more.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
hierophant73

Post by hierophant73 »

Alright. From the opinions I've gathered, here's my new thought ready for critique. Lets say that i use the KLZE with its stock pistons and the 10:1 compression, which It can handle. Then I boost it to about 8-10psi, with a good intercooler and upgraded fuel rails and injectors. Using this alone, I'm anticipating a good amount of power. (Not to mention the other mods I'm doing) But will that be safe, or will i blow up after driving for an hour? And secondly, where is a good place to find upgrades for the KLZE opposes to the 1.8L? I cant find that much for it, which kind of suprises me. I don't know, thats why i ask. Thanks :werd:
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

My bad @ 11:1 I'm not sure where I got that... but I could swear I've heard it many time (although I have no doubt now that I am wrong) Sorry about that :p
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Alright. From the opinions I've gathered, here's my new thought ready for critique. Lets say that i use the KLZE with its stock pistons and the 10:1 compression, which It can handle. Then I boost it to about 8-10psi, with a good intercooler and upgraded fuel rails and injectors. Using this alone, I'm anticipating a good amount of power. (Not to mention the other mods I'm doing) But will that be safe, or will i blow up after driving for an hour? And secondly, where is a good place to find upgrades for the KLZE opposes to the 1.8L? I cant find that much for it, which kind of suprises me. I don't know, thats why i ask. Thanks :werd:
i wouldnt say you'd blow it within an hour but its not gonna last long. Upgrades are all custom
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
Originally posted by mdavis:
sorry bud the klze is 10:1 not 11:1. and 12 psi is going to require more than just some fuel mods. TRUST ME ive been building my kfze (same compression as the klze) and im just simply trying to run max 8psi, ive done head and valve work and im still not close enough to run 8psi safely. and Babyblue is right wet injection ( you spray water in through your intake which will lower the chance of combustion) is a good choice in running higher boost, but with that your shortening your engine life even more.
Hmm... head and valve work add more power, they dont make running boost more reliable.

What makes it reliable is tuning. End of story. I have been running 5 psi non intercooled on a 130k mile junkyard KLDE and so far so good. Boost will be cranked to 10 psi shortly. All this on a stock engine and pump gas (91 octane here in CO).

And dont you mean that water injection lowers the chance of detonation? Combustion is what makes power. Detonation is what kills the motor. Detonation=uncontrolled combustion

<small>[ September 09, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: rebel2k4 ]</small>
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “Forced Induction”