Rods and Pistons

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
maldo

Re: Rods and Pistons

Post by maldo »

It could and can. Would I do it? no. The rods are punny. With that high of mileage I would suggest upgrading or rebuilding. Watch the rod bearings, I just lost mine so it is time for another rebuild. 3 motors in 2 years. Whohooo!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

mine has 119,000 and i plan to throw in a rebuilt shortblock and replace the rods so i can run some nice boost, also gonna throw in a protege tranny to handle the extra power
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

I would rather rebuild and drop in a fresh engine with the turbo assembly and so on.
But I could probably get my hands on a mint B6T for about $1000 Cdn. I don't know if this includes a tranny though.
Thing is...Who makes rods for the B6E and how much would they run?
I might be better to look at a swap.
That's the nice thing about high mileage. It's easy to justify this stuff.
I can't believe my girlfriend's turdcel is at 420 000 klicks and running strong (clutch not included).
No Sig
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

The other thing is, I see that the one guy on here that boosted his RS ended up watching a cloud of smoke roll out from under the hood one day shortly after.
Maybe I should just start building towards a Silvia.
No Sig
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

[url=http://www.raceeng.com,]www.raceeng.com,[/url] they got rods and pistons for the Miata B6
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
maldo

Post by maldo »

There are no "mint" B6T engines. They were produced till '89, all of which retain the short nose crank which is very prone to failure. There is nothing mint about a high mileage engine.<p>BTW, the link doesn't work. If you are looking for B6/BP components, try Flyin' Miata , ADFX Racing or Monkey Wrench Racing
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UnkleDuke:
The other thing is, I see that the one guy on here that boosted his RS ended up watching a cloud of smoke roll out from under the hood one day shortly after.
Maybe I should just start building towards a Silvia.
<hr></blockquote><p>if you want a sohc with only 130,000, i got one 360 and it;s yours
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by maldo:
Like I said, I have seen them fail as low as 10psi. Boost levels really aren't the determining factor here. Look at all the '99 model BPs with thrust bearing failure, just a simple machining error that Mazda likes to deny. The rods themselves aren't always the problem though, the bolt is the weakest point structurally. The bearings also tend to deteriorate at a quick rate, soon sending the rod thru the block.<hr></blockquote><p>
I do have to disagree with ya Chris.<p>I've seen NA BPs blow up, but that doesn't negate the fact on how strong the internals are. Tuning is everything. Well tuned, they've shown to be fairly reliable above 350 whp. Fairly reliable lends to the fact that more idiots don't realize a 350 whp 1.8L is under just a bit of stress, and must be paid close attention to.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

By "Mint" I mean that it is a really reputable shop that specializes in 323 GT/GTX/GTR parts and service. The guy said they won't sell any engine that has the "Crank Keyway" problem where there is a chance of breaking after a few km's.
Simply, he stated that the engine is a "A1 pull-not junkyard crap"
I appreciate your honesty though.<p>Cheers
No Sig
maldo

Post by maldo »

This wouldn't be Reich Racing would it? If it is, stay away. Go here 323GTX egroup and do a search for Reich Racing to find some horror stories. If it isn't Reich, who is it?<p>Jesse, I do agree that the internals of the B series engines are quite robust. Especially when compared to a stock SR20DET rod, they are very similar considering the difference in engine output. I was just pointing out the problem areas with the engine. If the rod fails, most likely it is due to the bolts. The crank is extremely strong although I have seen a few broken B6 cranks (no BP cranks that I am aware). It is well known that Mazda poorly machined the #4 bearing on the '99 model engines. Just look here or here. Overall, the BP engine is very strong, but you are right, it means nothing without tuning. That is why my BP is getting the very best.<p> :shrug:
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

**** Maldo, you're right...
It is RR... I've been told that they're pretty good.?
Thanks for the heads up.
I have had some ignorant emails from them though. When I bought a 323 GT, I emailed to ask some questions about their turbo and ecu upgrade, and instead of answering my questions the guy told me that if I had to ask, I was in over my head.
How about tactfully tellling me this, and then ANSWERING MY QUESTION...
That's what I appreciate about this board, most of the time questions get answered without herogance.
No Sig
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

If I rebuilt with B6T (323gt) rods and better bearings&bolts, would that be a hefty step in the right direction?
No Sig
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

I was able to get 285 out of a b6 in a Miata. This is a completely stock motor with a T3 turbo and a TEC III. The engine failed 8 months later when the customer took it to a local dyno and killed it at 25 psi 325 whp. No detonation seen but rods went due to too much power.<p>The RS kit I have been testing is now at 15 psi. This is still on the stock computer with a Racing Mazda piggy back unit and 310 cc injectors. I have controll of timing and fuel is base on a map sensor. I still have 40% of injector to play with. I plan to complete the tuning at 15 psi as I need it to be reliable to sell. Its now 3 months as 15 psi and no issues. I hope to see 200 to 250 with this.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

What year RS?
No Sig
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

are you all planning to sell this RS kit?

Return to “Forced Induction”