Intercooler sizes

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
992mmx3

Intercooler sizes

Post by 992mmx3 »

Is this a good size, 27x8x3, thats the actual intercooler size, core size is 20x8x3, too big? Keep in mind I need about 2 1/2" of room for the piping etc. its dual flow inlets too. Thanks for any input.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
jonathanj

Re: Intercooler sizes

Post by jonathanj »

no size is too big within reason. you will have to get rid of your actual bumper support though. think of it as weight savings.lol. seriously its pretty heavy. look at my intercooler you cant even see all of it. a good 8 inches is hiding behind the bumper.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

for our motors and the turbo's you'd fit to it, it's not a good idea to go over 2.5". reason being, the turbo/motor combo can't flow enough air to fully charge that i/c, which could actually raise the intake charge temp.<p>then again, what do i know. i have a clutch that's slipping and don't know why. :D
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

haha, actually, not a bad idea jon, just can't get into an accident. ;) How thick is your intercooler? Well, 2.5" is gonna be harder to find, so the search begins, the mk3 supra intercooler just isn't cuttin the cheese for me anymore.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Okay, this is probably what I'm getting 19.5x7x2.3, I'm guessing thats core size, I'm also gonna be running a t3 size turbo, still deciding, but definately ditching the (barbie car sized turbo) vj6.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

im running a PWR 18.5x6x3. with 2.5 in/out for max flow and minimal pressure drop.fyi though im running 2" piping from compressor to I/C, 2.25" from I/c to TB.
the pipes will be done bigger once i get a VJ20
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'm running the APEXi Silvia Intercooler & end tanks. The core measures in at 19.7"L x 9.33"H x 2.7"W. It has a unique feature called "Delta Fins" which has a larger surface area than a standard tube&fine or bar&plate design. The Delta Fins also act as a velocity stack across their larger surface area & foreces more air across the tube fins which results in considerable cooler air & and less pressure drop!<p>Other ways to reduce temps for less cost than a new IC setup is to add a Nitrous Express Intercooler Chiller kit (about 50HP gain), or a Snow Performance Metenol injection kit (60+ HP gain). Both sell for some where around $350 each. However the larger the IC you have coupled with one or even BOTH of these systems will net in LARGER HP gains across the entire power band!!! :D
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”