Nitrous in a 1.6L?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Nitrous in a 1.6L?

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

I'm considering running nitrous through my 95 RS.. 1.6L 4-cyl .. <P>stock engine, not a bp or anything :( <P>How big of a shot should I run? ...if it is even possible to run nitrous thru the stock engine..<BR>i know i'd have to replace a lot of lines and stuff, right?<P>also, if I get nitrous, I'll have an air/fuel gauge, and should the other gauge be boost or nitrous pressure...?
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
marshmallow15

Re: Nitrous in a 1.6L?

Post by marshmallow15 »

running nitrous on your stock engine is possible. at the most maybe a dry shot of 50-75hp like most people on this board are running. it would be good to have an intake and exhaust to help with that increased flow of power.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

i have heard that one thing to consider is NOS drys out your cylinders. my 95 rs i would like to put a system on her for show, but because of the properties of NOS and like products, i would like to have some internal work done to be on the safe side. u will have to swich to hi oct. gas as well so it doesnt detonate prematurly in the cyl. there is a lot of pros and cons. i would say yes and no to it.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

the internals can handle a 50hp shot with no problem with proper tuning and usage.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

high octane gas permanantly or only when im gonna use it? <P>for example, i know i would not use any nitrous in the winter, so could i just use the normal octane then and use high octane before drag days? u get the idea.. :)<P>oh and also, i do have a K&N Intake (not cold air though) and 2.25" piping cat back exhaust.. good enough? i want CAI soon also tho..<BR> :D<p>[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: xXx_OTEP_xXx ]
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

im not too sure about the octane. you'd have to ask someone running nitrous for a safe answer.
- team slideways
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'd run high octane pump gas (92 or higher) & upgrade the fuel pump. Also... retard the timing a few degrees just to keep it safe from detination. If your gonna be running anything over a 50HP shot your putting your you know what on the time line. I'd recommend a 70-100 shot of WET nitrous. There was a guy over here running a 100 shot of WET nitrous to a Civic DX motor (stock internals) using a single fogger behing the intake filter & had NO problems. The WET nitrous systems give you much cooler internal temps & reliability because it doesn't rely on your stock fuel system. WET nitrous systems supply their own fuel. NOS makes a NOSzle Direct Port EFI kit which makes it so you don't have to drill holes in the intake manifold for the foggers. The NOSzle kit uses three-piece billet foggers that house your fuel injectors & supposedly eliminates fuel puddling. The only down side is the $993.95 price tag (Summit), but it's adjustable for a 100-125HP shot. Both NOS & Nitrous Express make a basic WET nitrous kit for around $550-$600 and are adjustable anywhere from 50-225HP, however drilling the intake manifold or pipe for fogger(s) is required to use them. Also....get a book by Joe Pettitt "HOW TO INSTALL AND USE NITROUS OXIDE INJECTION SYSTEMS for maximum horsepower". It's mainly V8's...but same princaples. ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

P.S.<P>Our motors are MUCH stronger than that guy's Civic DX motor. Most of the Honda's...including the Civic DX motor...use what is called an OPEN DECK. The OPEN DECK design is GREAT for a high reving all motor design. OPEN DECK is where the cylinder walls have a space around them, this space is filled with coolant & helps keep cylinder temps down. BUT...when you start using any kind of "forced induction" on them, the cylinder walls start to flex. That can lead to a blown motor REALLY fast. This guy had a totally stock motor internally. He didn't even have a block saver in it with the 100shot. For you peeps that don't know...block saver: set of sleeves that fill in the coolant passages around the cylinder walls in a OPEN DECK block, which turns it into a solid deck (thats our blocks) & keeps the cylinder walls from flexing under boosted pressures. Not to mention Honda's have $h!Ty stock rods. Ours motors are CLOSED DECK blocks with MUCH stronger rods. So thats why I recommended that large of a WET nitrous shot. You might be able to go a little bigger but I'd stick AT most 125HP with WET nitrous on stock internals. <B>Do ANY thing at your OWN RISK though.</B> I'd also HIGHLY recommend DYNO tunning before use though. :D<p>[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: JWMotorsports ]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

Would I always need to keep a high octane gas in it though? such as in the winter when it wont be used...<P>Also, I was thinking of upgrading the internals that needed it and still running a smaller shot than 125.. I was thinking 50-75 to stay on the safe side..
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

Also what kind of fuel pump would I need? I see them on ebay ranging from 80 to 350 dollars and they obviously are all different.. could anyone point me to a website (or specific ebay item) that would fit the mx3 for this situation.. thanks
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey man get a hold of me tonite on AIM. I will send you pics of my 75hp wet NOS setup. I am running a rx7 fuel pump, timing two degrees retarted, and 92 octane gas at the track....I always run premium actually.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Did my info last night help? If you need some more help lemme know.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

im ok at the moment i guess ;) <BR>i just need to save up some (a lot of) money to get this going.. right now i ordered my gauge pod and im trying to figure out which gauges to use still.. then the project will have to be on hold for a while.. :mad:
fabius_l

Post by fabius_l »

in england a company called Wizards of Nos do a system that plugs into the air intake no other modifications are neede to run thr system, 2 switches are used, one switch turns on the system a second switch attatched to the accelerator injects the nos when the pedal is at a position you choose. The also provide insurance for str£1 per 1 bhp gain wanted guaranteeing that their system wont cause your engine to blow or damage might be worth looking into.
'92 MX3 1.8 V6
G-MAX 40mm lowering springs
'91 AZ3 1.5 35mm drop +V6 stryt brace.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

wow sounds like a really user-friendly system. i guess the only hard part of the install is mounting the throttle cable thing that tells the system when the engine is at WOT.
- team slideways

Return to “Forced Induction”