T3 for my b6t? What ya think.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
David Coleman

Re: T3 for my b6t? What ya think.

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>Con: Wear out faster.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry, but that is hilarous! LOL!
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG>You can wrap it with reflective materials. I believe Summit Racing sells something of that nature. Other than that I dunno.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL! Definitely a great way to keep the turbo cool! LOL!
David Coleman
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Allright Davey.....any ideas then? :)
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Hmm...making a non water cooled turbo cool like a water cooled turbo. About as easy as making an air cooled motor [essentially oil cooled, especially the Porsche 911 turbos...] cool like a water cooled motor: not possible. I'd hold out for a water cooled turbo if I were you. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Is water cooled that much better?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

well considering that non water cooled turbos are designed that way it might not be a horrible thing. they are designed with this in mind and probably have revisions for it. But....this is at stock boost levels and back pressure becomes an issue also. as you know the higher the back pressure the higher the temperature, and more boost increeases temps also...thus increasing the possibility of failure because the unit may be designed to run a little "cooler". the water cooled units last longer and are more efficient. so go with a water cooled unit and save yourself some trouble :D
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

OK well what if I already have a turbo timer installed on my mx? I mean an oil cooled turbo must not be that bad if alot of people use them..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

That bit about the water cooling the oil if the turbo isn't cool is neat, but it doesn't seem like it could create enough circulation to do a proper job.<P>As for additional cooling to your turbo, have you considered an oil cooler? Putting heat sinks on it would help, esp. if you can route some air to the general area from a scoop, or the front appron. I think adding any sort of active heat exchanger would be more trouble than just getting a water cooled turbo.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

you should get the water cooled model....it seems like a waste to put that turbo on that engine you built......... that is what your power is going to be based around. dont you think it deserves better? its like putting a 75 cent oil filter on a race engine. you may be better off looking around some more.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Allright guys.. Imma gonna look around then. Thanks for the input.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

OK when you say water cooled, is that meaning that water from somewhere in the coolant system will be routed to the turbo, and then routed back into the coolant system? Also...what exactly goes through intercooler?? Is it the air that is being boosted??? Sorry but ive never seen a turbo engine and after reading thousands of posts, im still not clear on that....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx3man83:<BR><STRONG>OK when you say water cooled, is that meaning that water from somewhere in the coolant system will be routed to the turbo, and then routed back into the coolant system? Also...what exactly goes through intercooler?? Is it the air that is being boosted??? Sorry but ive never seen a turbo engine and after reading thousands of posts, im still not clear on that....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> You are correct.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Yes that is what a water cooled turbo is. The intercooler is used to cool the intake charge. The turbo is attached to the exhaust manifold (header) and uses the spent gases to turn the impeller. the impeller in turn, turns the compressor which compresses the ambient air it gets from the filter, and pushes it thru the intercooler and into the intake manifold. When you compress air it heats it up. The air to air intercooler uses the air that passes thru the vanes in the intercooler to cool the compressed air.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”