Is it true you can get V6 engines and V4 engines running

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

Is it true you can get V6 engines and V4 engines running

Post by Guest »

Some guy in the V6 Faq forum mentioned something about it and I find it hard to believe.

V4 Egnines
-Dont have alot of aftermarket support
-Can only handle 1 turbo
-Performance parts dont add as much horse power as they would on V6s or V8s

V6 Engines
-Can only handle 2 turbo

Sure with 150hp NOS I could see a V4 or V6 at 500hp but without it, no.

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Mustang and MX3 Teen ]</small>
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: Is it true you can get V6 engines and V4 engines running

Post by atlantamx3 »

No such thing as a "V4"

Its an Inline 4.

I am sure somewhere in history some crazy obcure comapny made a V4-- but not Mazda.

Also, If you do some research Dave Lauzier had his 4-cyl BPT in the mid-400 HP range, probably higher, with ONE turbo.

There is another guy on the board-- BoostedMX I think-- who was very close to that number or surpassed it as well.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Guard-TL-

Post by Guard-TL- »

Originally posted by 5.0 Mustang and MX3 Teen:

Some guy in the V6 Faq forum mentioned something about it and I find it hard to believe.

V4 Egnines
-Can only handle 1 turbo

V6 Engines
-Can only handle 2 turbo

Sure with 150hp NOS I could see a V4 or V6 at 500hp but without it, no. -
After market support has to do with how popular the car is, and not how many cylinders it has.

The amount of turbo's a car has is not as important as how many psi those turbo(s) are pushing, and there is a limit on that depending on the engine.

Edit:

V6 Engines
-Performance parts dont add as much horse power as they would on V6s or V8s :werd:

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Guard-TL- ]</small>
95 MX-3 RS, Black, 5 Speed.
Mazda Speed body kit.
17" white ADR "vision" rims.
SONY head unit, speakers, subs, and amp.
Costume CAI, and Exhaust systems.
thebox

Post by thebox »

Originally posted by atlantamx3:
No such thing as a "V4"

Its an Inline 4.

I am sure somewhere in history some crazy obcure comapny made a V4-- but not Mazda.

Also, If you do some research Dave Lauzier had his 4-cyl BPT in the mid-400 HP range, probably higher, with ONE turbo.

There is another guy on the board-- BoostedMX I think-- who was very close to that number or surpassed it as well.
it is true there have been V4 engines made but i cannot remember who did it...
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
Kazik16

Post by Kazik16 »

all i have to say is, one day you'll see my car with a bp(t)urbo) gtr pushing 400+hp, all it takes is money dude, true v8's are easier to get power out of, but they were also MADE for power, 4cyl, most likely were inteaded for economical use, not performance, lower gas-milage, less power (safer.. somwhat), none the less, just cause they don't seem big doesn't mean they can't push as many, if not more than stock v8's, and some moded v8's all it takes is money, time and effort
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kazik16
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
-Vernon Sanders Law
Guard-TL-

Post by Guard-TL- »

Did a fast google search. It was developed by ford, and used in the SAAB "Sonett" V4. Also found that it was used in the Capri, here's the link with pictures.

http://www.cz3.nus.edu.sg/~shing/capri/hbook/engine.html
95 MX-3 RS, Black, 5 Speed.
Mazda Speed body kit.
17" white ADR "vision" rims.
SONY head unit, speakers, subs, and amp.
Costume CAI, and Exhaust systems.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

500whp would be far to great for a 4cyl. Thats 125hp per cylinder :eek:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
500whp would be far to great for a 4cyl. Thats 125hp per cylinder :eek:
a Supra is a straight 6. theres a bit of a difference. i bought boostedmx's motor and from everything done to it, it is far capable of running at 600 hp. there isnt really anything else you can even do to this motor. the motor was built to run at 20 to 25 psi with i beleve a G60 hybred turbo, and direct port nitrus. he was expecting some where in the 11's with a full car(interior, seats and whatnot).
is 500 hp possable in an I4 yes definatly. i know of some one who makes a living making honda 4cyl engines and they are rated at 600HP. and is a V6 capable of those numbers even higher. you can get a 6cyl upwards to 1200 1400hp with the rite tuning and parts. it all comes down to money. also the NHRA PRO FWD Norad Toyota Celica was making some where around 1200hp and its a 2.7L.
on another note
there is a private company who made there own I 4 and made a whopping 2500 HP or some where close to it. i dont rember who or what the exact numbers were. it was on Discovery channel.
its easy to throw a V8 into a car, its just alot more expensive to build up a 4 or 6cyl. thats why you cant beat displacement.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Yup the V4 was in ford's cars..

I remember my parrents driving in a old Ford granada i think it was called,and it did run on a V4

Supposed to be much stronger/torkier than normal straight 4 and almost impossible to wear out,but hey i never got to drive it myself so dont know how fast it was :D
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Well, I'm not going to argue about what some abscure company did to a 4cyl, or 6cyl for that matter, with unlimited money, all I know is, if you want more power, get more displacement. Not only will it be cheaper in mods...but jesus, you realize the tpye of fuel you have to use to get a 4cyl to 1000hp+? I garuntee it isnt 93 octane, which I might add it $2.00+ a gallon right now.

Anyways, I basically agree with you...if you want power, get displacment, because that is where it will come from.

Also, thank you for correcting me on the supra engines, I did not know they were Straight 6's... I just assumed v-6 in a modern car.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

jun auto mechnics out of japan easily get 720 hp reliably and consistantly from i4s and v6s
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

this is why he probally said.... 500 is not attanable esily or what ever

first of all they stopped making the mx-3

second......there are a handful of companies making or made parts for the mx-3.....

third i know this is sad to every one.....u cant just buy parts for the mx-3 b/c it did not sell well like the civic, elcipse, etc......
so the R&D for 500 HP isnt there....there are probally people who have done it....but its a one off part not for production
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”