Received Pakfeifer cf hood broken!;( Bad Quality after l

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Talon_66

Re: Received Pakfeifer cf hood broken!;( Bad Quality after l

Post by Talon_66 »

Originally posted by hertelchris:
My cf hood cant be fixed, $560 repair estimate with no guarantee. I think Pakfeifer should get me a new hood because its their fault for not properly marking the boxes as fragile. I dont know yet if they will, I am waiting for a reply. I wont get 560 out of greyhound and if I did the hood would be unsafe and not guaranteed by the body shop. I had a lengthy talk with their fiberglasser about the hood and repairs and he thinks I should send the hood back and get a new one. It sucks to be in this situation as anyone esle in the groupbuy I was in could only imagine. If I dont get it replaced it was all for nothing at my expense. I dont want this to happen to anyone else which is why I also posted a message in buyer\seller feedback forum. I am not saying not to buy from pakfeifer as they have probably put out awsome quality products, I was just unfortunate to have this happen to. But I guess If they dont replace my hood since it was their fault. I wouldnt gamble on them again, would any of you? Like I said before I wouldnt want this to happen to anyone else ever. That is the purpose of this message. Its a ****ty feeling being so excited for a year in a groupbuy and ending up with nothing. If they replace it than great, but right now it doesnt feel so good.
I honestly dont see how it could have been broken during shipping. CF is pretty strong. Ive seen cars park on top of CFs without busting them.. What did the bus do? Attempt the same stunt?
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
chertel

Post by chertel »

The guy at extreme effects body shop where I live said that is not true. The carbon fiber on our hoods is too thin and the bottom is fiberglass so even if the top survived the bottom wouldnt. He said some companies build stronger thicker carbon fiber hoods and use that one for the car to drive up on. Just to sell more hoods. I dont know if what he is saying is true but he knows more than me.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

hes right, cf hoods that we get arent strong at all, i bet i can break it by hitting it hard with hand, its only got one layer of c/f sheeting and fragile fiberglass underneath
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
seneca

Post by seneca »

:shrug: That sucks :shrug:
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
FunkMarkus1994

Post by FunkMarkus1994 »

Who else make CF for mx ? Dont wanna run in tha same horror story cuz I really want 1 !
Funk Funk..!!
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

not to be knocking oscar and the compnay but when you email him about products it takes ages for him to reply not a professional sales person
FunkMarkus1994

Post by FunkMarkus1994 »

I have visited pakfeifer.com but didnt see hoods. they took them out cuz was too low quality or wut.
Funk Funk..!!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

To reply to the last 2 posts.

1- PAKFEIFER TUNING CANADA is my part-time business. I do not bank on what it yields as I have a second job and cannot depend on it for steady income. This was an opportunity for me and continues to be an experience I enjoy. It is very good to me in the warmer months of the year, but as fall rolls around, sales are not as strong and at the same time school starts for me which leaves me with less time. I am only 1 person here at Pakfeifer Canada and I do not have the full time required to operate at 100%. Therfore, you may be waiting a while before I answer back. I believe I did reply to you 93_4banger.

2- The hoods have not been added at all to the website. As a matter of fact, the webpage was last update before the group buy even started 1 year ago!!!

The hoods are available and quality is not an issue.

Unfortunately, Cris Hertel, who started this thread had a bad experience and for that reason all the bad publicity, Im sure if he is still on this board, he can reply to this thread what the final outcome was.

BTW, his hood was replaced because it was damaged during shipping. I'm pretty sure he is a happy camper :driver:
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Originally posted by FunkMarkus1994:
I have visited pakfeifer.com but didnt see hoods. they took them out cuz was too low quality or wut.
One more thing, www.pakfeifer.com is the Austrian website. The carbon fiber hoods are not listed there. To see related material, you must go to www.pakfeifercanada.com

Thanks
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Lets clear up some misconceptions about carbon fiber products.

Anyone who has studied materials science or does some research before buying anything should know that the tensile strength(how far it can be pulled apart before it fails) and the modulus of elasticity(stiffness) is greater than that of steel, titanium and aluminium. Specifically speaking, the weight of carbon fiber laminate is approximately 40% less than aluminium, and the modulus of elasticity is about 10% higher than steel. The tensile strength of Carbon fiber is just as good, if not better than the other three materials being used in this comparison.So you can see that carbon fiber is very light and stiff.

These figures are only accomplished when the tests are applied at 0 degrees, in other words, parrallel to the fibers.

When you apply the same tests to carbon fibers anywhere from lets say 30-90 degrees, it fails far quicker.

Now lets look at what happened with this hood, it has nothing to do with what Marshmallow15 says about the part not curing properly and the mold being tampered. every hood is made the same way in the same mold. It has to do with how the damage was sustained.

After looking at the package personally, its quite obvious that one corner of the box hit the ground or received a blow to it. To better decribe this: the passenger side of the hood by the hinges was dropped or had something happen to it that made the box crack along with the fiberglass layer in the hood. I have some very descriptive pics I can show if need be.

The stress was applied perpinducular to the fibers and for that reason it received some damage. Only the fiberglass skeleton cracked which has far less ductility than carbon fiber. The carbon fiber ply did not receive any damage.

I hope this clears up the issue on the quality of the Pakfeifer Carbon Fiber hoods. I can see that some of you have misunderstandings about carbon fiber properties.

I don't think I need to elaborate any further on this topic. If there is anyone that stil may have doubts or concerns, please pm me or email me at info@pakfeifertuning.com and I will answer your question to the best of my knowlede.

Thank You

<small>[ December 09, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: EZ_4_FUN ]</small>
OSKY

chertel

Post by chertel »

first of all I did receive a replacement hood from Oskar at pakfeifer and am very happy how quickly he dealt with the situation. I am also very happy with the quality of the new hood.
the second time around more care was taken in the shipping of the hood. The box was marked fragile in many places and the hood itself was completely wrapped in foam. That for sure was the only reason I received a dammaged hood the first time. Greyhound courier express had no Idea that the Package was fragile because it wasnt properly marked. And something got thrown on it breaking the box and the fiberglass section of the hood. Secondly I didnt start this thread to give Pakfeifer a bad rep. I was Upset because I was in a groupbuy for a year waiting patiently and when I finally received my hood it was un-usable and dammaged. Anyone can imagine how it would feel. I posted a message here because I was hoping others in the groupbuy would see this post and reply to it and give me advice or tell me about their hoods. It was a way of letting out some steam because I was pissed off. And it worked because lots of people on mx3.com sent me messages. They told me that Oskar was a stand up guy and great to deal with and can be trusted. That made me feel better because I couldnt talk to Oskar at the time because he was on vacation. The only reason I posted this thread, I had nobody to talk to and was really impatient at the time and needed info and to talk. I do trust Oskar and Pakfeifer tuning now because of how fast he dealt with my problem when he found out my hood was dammaged I would definately deal with him again. Lastly I didnt intend to give Pakfeifer bad publicity, I just didnt want anyone else to go through what I did because It sucked. The issue wasnt in the quality of the cf hoods it was in the Packaging.
:2thumbsup: all is good now! Although I still havent put it on my car because it was minus 27 last week and very cold, freezing! I think I will only use it in the summer time.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

umm.ebay anyone? a moth ago OI as looking for a cd hood (which i found locally) I found 2 on ebay every week they would post and no one would bid... why is this? They had the stock and the inverted style. I was going to buy but my friend has 2 cf hoods (he has a red carbon fiber one) he selling me his. why dont you try elsewhere..Thats not the only company that makes cf hoods you know. Also ever try a fiberglass hood?. as a matter of fact.a bunch of mx3ers in mexico kinda stole my idea and have fiberglass hoods now :/ they are stock looking... I personally dont like g buys because they take forever o.0 Oh and these babies (cf hoods) are strong enough to hold me (120) lbs on top and well they are pretty strong. so um im assuming it was made poorly.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
chertel

Post by chertel »

It wasnt made poorly, anyone can break fiberglass. Fiberglass is weak. My hood looks great and is light and I dont plan on standing on it, what would be the point? If the bottom section was made out of carbon fiber than the hood would probably be stronger and more expensive to buy or make. I did learn not to join a group buy again unless im willing to wait and really want what Im ordering. I really wanted the cf hood so all is good.

Return to “Appearance”