Problem with lug nuts

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
EBUCKS

Problem with lug nuts

Post by EBUCKS »

I put my rims on this weekend. After a day the lug nuts were all loose and I'm not sure why. I tightened them again last night. But yet again they're all loose. <p>
Root Cause: Stiff suspension and 17" rims, possibly creates enough vibration for the nuts to loosen
Possible Corrective Action: Loc-tite thread locker on nuts
Lock washers, but they may cut into aluminium rim
Lock nuts, but they probably will be open ended<p>Will any of this work? Can anyone give me any other suggestions to combat this problem. Much appreciated. <p>Thank you
BTW, the rims look sick and I'll have pics later this week. :cool: <p>one
millionflame

Re: Problem with lug nuts

Post by millionflame »

I'm sure this isn't it but have you checked to make sure they're the correct threading?<p>I know that would do it, but I doubt that's it.<p>What about the threads on the hub? Are they still good??<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

*edited*<p>as you wish elroy,,, :D<p>[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: kuruption1983 ]</p>
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

So is it a new rim problem? Cuz I've been using the same 2 different sets of rims for the last 7 years with the same lug nuts as well. Aiden, I'm pretty sure that the nuts are the correct threading, but you have a point in that the threads may be worn and therefore unable to hold the nuts tightly.
Jeff, are you coming out this weekend? It would be a pleasure meeting you. To answer your post . . . I reefed the damn things. Now, I'm not a very big guy, but I put my tired little a$$ into it. :shrug:
Kav, put that damn pic in the images forum, and oh, go check mine.
Thanks guys for your help and any more suggestions would be appreiciated. <p>one
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

you have the wheel on the ground when you are tightening them right (car not on stands)? when i tighten my rims i put the lug wrench on there and then stomp on it. also make sure to go in a star pattern. use a torque wrench if you have to (lots of leverage with the long handle), just make sure those lugs aren't going to come off unless you want them too.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

Be very careful here, the problem may be the method you use. Like the previous post said you need to use a star pattern (diametrically opposed) but you must do it in stages. I use 40 pounds, then 60, then 80, then 95 pounds and to finish off go fully around the circle at 100 foot pounds of torque. If you don't use this stage method the center will not seat properly, and a 17" rim flexes a lot. Every time it flexes the nut can back off a bit. Also make sure the tires are perfectly balanced using a fine setting. Find a shop that can do this, it's important with a rim this big. Also check your nuts are the same depth as the holes in the rim to ensure you are gripping on enough threads. These things will all fix the problem when used together. It takes some time but it's worth it, when you consider the damage you can do if you lose a wheel. :)
...does not play well with others.

Return to “Appearance”