Rusted Exhaust - Repair Options?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
millaj01

Rusted Exhaust - Repair Options?

Post by millaj01 »

Hey All,

I just got done with my last major issue (worn struts, broken springs - replaced w/ZX2, H&R) so now it looks like perfect timing to tackle my next problem: A rusting exhaust that's starting to get LOUD

I live in Michigan which isn't the most gentle environment to a car's underside in winter...and until now I hadn't really cared for my car as much as I should have (i.e. didn't rinse the underside enough). So I was inspecting my exhaust system and everything looks ok from the presilencer back. Unfortunately things look ugly going forward up to the exhaust manifold. What's especially rusted are the connectors for the cat, as well as a good part of the front pipe (forward of the flex pipe). Actually, I think it's the front pipe specifically that's got the hole causing all the racket.

My question is, what options do I have for repair without costing me an arm and a leg? I haven't had any exhaust repairs done in a while and certainly nothing forward of the cat...so I seek advice on where to source parts and labor. Basically I don't want to get ripped off. Would it be best to find a shop specializing in exhaust, a local general garage, or one of the generic chains (like Midas)? Any experiences and/or opinions? Also, are there any aftermarket parts that I'd be better off getting instead of relying on the repair place for them?

Thanks for any info!

-Jay
'93 MX-3 GS Image
Taras

Re: Rusted Exhaust - Repair Options?

Post by Taras »

Try JB Weld. It is good for high heat applications.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Hmmm...that would certainly save me a ton of money. If I go to the website though it says explicitly, "Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500º F." :(

Also, I'm not *positive* where the leak/hole is in the exhaust system. Any advice on how best to track it down? Visual inspection doesn't show me an obvious hole.....
'93 MX-3 GS Image
XxLuieLinesxX

Post by XxLuieLinesxX »

i had the same problem and i went to meineke and they fixed the whole pipe for $130USD

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”