Look What I Found Out!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Look What I Found Out!!!

Post by Spinkx79 »

Look what I found on PT:
I’m an emissions inspector for the MOE (ministry of the environment) of Ontario. When we input data into the computer, then engine selection is by displacement, not type. It doesn’t matter if you change the engine because the engine you replaced the original with is of the same displacement, so it gets tested against the regular (factory) emissions specifications for the year of the body chassis. There is a test method for testing modified cars, called “Hot Rod” testing, however, our cars don’t qualify. A Hot Rod is any car whose engine block displacement is a size not offered by the original manufacture for that vehicle during that model year. So since a KL-DE and KL-ZE are the same displacement size 2.5L V6 it’s not a hot rod, that’s why it fails. Hot Rod status sets the emissions standard levels to 1980 specifications.

In Ontario, we no longer do the visual tampering inspection, we just check that the car has a CAT and a working Gas Cap, everything else is ignored (EGR, air pump, ect), although some inspectors still do the tampering inspection even though we were told not to as of 2002. We don’t even care if your check engine light is on.

You only get 2 retest at $17.50, if you fail a 3rd time, price goes back to $35 for each subsequent test after that.
I'm not sure what the laws are in your area as far as emissions testing goes, but here in Ontario, Canada, if your car has an engine displacement size that was not offered by the manufacture for that year of the vehicles body chassis, then it qualifies as a Hot Rod and emissions standards are to 1980 specs.

However you will have to provide proof that the engine was changed by providing a work order or receipt of the work done.

So yes, if you have an MX-3 and put in a KL-ZE, and have a receipt or work order of the work completed, it will qualify for Hot Rod status, but only for folks living in Ontario, Canada
I live in Ontario and have a 2.5L in my garage, got KL31 cams on my bench and got my MS8 delivered this morning. Been struggling with what to do for emmissions....Not any more !!!
:2thumbsup:
JWMX3

Re: Look What I Found Out!!!

Post by JWMX3 »

So if you do the swap yourself and have no work order or receipt then i guess ya dont qulify right ? unless a receipt for purchase of the engine would do, would it ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya im sure and engine receipt would work.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Maybe we could show them the "KL" stamped into the block?
T61 powered KLZE
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

meh.. my ZE passed with flying colors :freak:
92 Autozam AZ3
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

Your ZE past in california Sam? Do you have the EGR still? That is quite impressive.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thought so...

I also heard you can also go to Mazda and get a letter.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

[quote]Originally posted by Sam Baker:
meh.. my ZE passed with flying colors :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”