My Master Plan...In Progress...Your Input Needed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

My Master Plan...In Progress...Your Input Needed

Post by Spinkx79 »

I have a 96 Mazda MX-3 GS (ODBII)

I am putting a 97 PGT engine in ( i already have the engine).

- I got a PGT throttlebody from Bencollonz (thanks), already in its way to knoxville to become a 67mm.
- I got a UDP from Baaka (thanks)
- I have the stock Maf/Vaf (kl02? cant remember)
- Oil catch can and ground wires on the way from X3Racing (ebay)
- New hydraulic tension arm (ebay)

The engine has 100,000 KM. Yes...thats kilometers =)

In talking with a couple of local machine shops, i have learned that gettin heads port matched and polished is WAY out of my budget roughly a "G-note" per bank I have decided to get them refreshed or conditioned, cant remember what he called it, at a cost of $400 for both.

I will be getting some KL-101 cams for the heads, DE heads have stronger springs and retainers.

Going to get some headers, not sure which ones yet...would like to stay cheap (knockoffs), but have heard mostly negative feedback on Pacesetter and OBX Hotshots. Almost bought some used real-deal Hotshots but decided not to at last min. Because my car is ODBII i need 4 O2 sensors and, which will have to be customed and figured may not be the best idea on used pipes. Hotshot 93-95 and 97 comes with 2 O2 sensors and the 96 comes with 3 and the downpipe is a bit longer but they are $500+

I just put a Magnaflow muffler on it 2 months ago, so i wanna keep that, as for in between i will prob get a custom pipe made up. My CAT is clogged smells like eggs when i honk on it. Been looking a the Catco and similar "Hi-Flo" cats for $25. Thinkin they will prob clog up real fast. Testpipe?...ya, thought about it but dont really want my car sounding like a 2-stroke and will most likely give me codes. 2 O2 sensors b4 the cat and 2 after.

I will be keeping my lighter MX-3 flywheel

Phenolic spacers to keep the temp down a bit, no coolant bypass though, need it in the winter.

I changed my CV joints last March and they are aleready gone (car not lowered) Thinking that my strut towers are bent? So im gonna get some ZX2 struts from Ford, priced them at $260 CAD for all 4. At a half inch shorter than stock, should go nice with some H&R springs.

Intake? I have the old ugly DE intake, full of crap...not sure what im gonna do here.

CAI? im gonna make one. Gonna be cold air too, not warm engine bay air!!

Heard good things about using the ZR1 oil filter and planned on getting one, but just heard of the dual filter kit. Thinkin I might get one of those, an extra quart of oil cant hurt, and double filtration means long life

What im not sure about is the best MAF/VAR and ECU combo, my car comes stock with the KLZE MAF/VAF and i have the stock one for the probe.

So far i have only the K8 ECU.

So possible combos:

KLDE ECU >>>>>>>KLG2-1881
KLG2-1881-B
KLG2-1881-C
KLY2-1881
and stock probe VAF/MAF

Or

K8 ECU and KLZE (my stock) VAF/MAF

Any other combos?

Anyone know about MSD window switches?

If you have any tips/tricks or suggestions for me....or u know something that i dont...please tell me.
papa roached

Re: My Master Plan...In Progress...Your Input Needed

Post by papa roached »

you already got my reply over at PT :p
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Originally posted by papa roached:
you already got my reply over at PT :p
Ya..after i read your reply on PT, i decided to post it here too.

C what happens :2thumbsup:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It's all quite simple, and has all been posted before.

If you are willing to rewire 70 odd conductors at the ECU connectors, you can use an OBDII KLDE ECU.

If that's too much, but you are willing to rewire 26 conductors, you can use an OBDI KLDE ECU. It doesn't matter that your engine is out of a '97 car, because engines are neither OBDI nor OBDII, they are just engines.

In both cases, use a KLDE VAF.

If you don't want to do either, keep the K8 ECU and use a KLDE VAF.

The only KL you use a K8 VAF with is a KLZE, and then only with a KLZE ECU.

<small>[ October 25, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Originally posted by IanL:
It's all quite simple, and has all been posted before.

If you are willing to rewire 70 odd conductors at the ECU connectors, you can use an OBDII KLDE ECU.

If that's too much, but you are willing to rewire 26 conductors, you can use an OBDI KLDE ECU. It doesn't matter that your engine is out of a '97 car, because engines are neither OBDI nor OBDII, they are just engines.
Do you or anyone know where i can get the re-Wiring info?

I may take a stab at it....would hate to do all this work and get 80% out of my engine :(

Maybe i can make some sorta in between connector.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You should try and get the kfze cams instead, they're supposed to be the best in the family. Though im sure klze cams will be a lot easier to come by.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Spinkx79:
Do you or anyone know where i can get the re-Wiring info?

I may take a stab at it....would hate to do all this work and get 80% out of my engine :(

Maybe i can make some sorta in between connector.
Brave man :2thumbsup:

I've emailed my ECU connections spreadsheet and some scans to you.

You could make an interfacing connector if you could get hold of an OBDII ECU for the input connectors and the harness connectors from an OBDII car for the output. Take a few days to wire them up, but at least you could do the work on a bench.

<small>[ October 26, 2004, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
You should try and get the kfze cams instead, they're supposed to be the best in the family. Though im sure klze cams will be a lot easier to come by.
From ProbeTalk:
"yeah, those are cams from the KF-ZE motor. 2.0L V6 making about 170 hp.

The 4-cylinder cams would be marked with FS."

"So are the Euro KF or KFZE? There's a difference of 30 HP between the two. If it's the KFZE, rumor is they're higher profile than the KLZE cams."

hmm...

Anyone know anything about this?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

- New hydraulic tension arm (ebay)
No way. You want a MAzda or Ford brand one. The generic ones have a high fail rate. See if this site will ship to Canada:

www.stopshopanddrive.com

They sell Mazda brand tensioners. Though, I'm not usre they have a 96 MX-3 listed, so look up a 96 MX6.............

OK. Looked it up and they'll ship to Canada on these terms:

"Sales Out of the United States and APO/FPO, Puerto Rico, Canada, PO Boxes, and Hawaii & Alaska

As of 8/1/04, we can now ship out of the United States using The US Mail or Federal Express (delivery times range from 4 - 7 days). You must place your order via the telephone 732-477-3695. Orders must be paid via Money Order or a Certified Bank Check. When that clears, orders will be shipped. No credit cards from banks located outside of the United States will be accepted. Call for freight values. The free freight Policies do not apply, and there will be a separate shipping and handling charge after the weight and handling is calculated. Pay Pal can not be accepted on orders from account outside of the USA, unless:

You have a Verified Business or Premier account.
You must have a Verified Account Status with Pay Pal.
We can only ship to a Pay Pal confirmed address.
Additionally provide us with your credit card number and the CVV2 code as well."
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
From ProbeTalk:
"yeah, those are cams from the KF-ZE motor. 2.0L V6 making about 170 hp.

The 4-cylinder cams would be marked with FS."

"So are the Euro KF or KFZE? There's a difference of 30 HP between the two. If it's the KFZE, rumor is they're higher profile than the KLZE cams."

hmm...

Anyone know anything about this?
The cams on my kfze are kf01 and thats the 170hp v6. The euro spec does not have a kfze it has a 140hp kfde, dont know what the cams are those would be..

<small>[ October 25, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
[qb] - New hydraulic tension arm (ebay)
No way. You want a MAzda or Ford brand one. The generic ones have a high fail rate. See if this site will ship to Canada:
it was a mazda one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7925957892

but thanks anyway :2thumbsup:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

[quote]Originally posted by Spinkx79:
[QUOTE]it was a mazda one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7925957892

but thanks anyway :shrug: I bought something from that seller too. He sold me a axle seal through the forum here. Fast delivery, so I'd say you can trust him.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I will be getting some KL-101 cams for the heads, DE heads have stronger springs and retainers.
KL101 cams? Do you mean KL01 cams? (I might be wrong here, but do 101s exist?) I think you have it backwords. DEs do have stronger springs and retainers, but the KL01 cams aren't the ones that crack retainers (like babyblue :( ) the KL36 cams in MX6s do that.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by IanL:
I've emailed my ECU connections spreadsheet and some scans to you.
Forgot to say, #2 connector on the OBDII car is the extra connector for OBDII signals. #3 connector will mate to #2 on the OBDI ECU, and #4 similarly to #3. That's why there are less connections to change if you use an OBDI ECU.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

Originally posted by mdavis:
KL101 cams? Do you mean KL01 cams? (I might be wrong here, but do 101s exist?) I think you have it backwords. DEs do have stronger springs and retainers, but the KL01 cams aren't the ones that crack retainers (like babyblue :( ) the KL36 cams in MX6s do that.
the KL-ZE MX-6 cams are KL31, im sure the KF-DE has KL01s and there is no KL101 cams :p
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”