Engine Temperature MX3 GS?? PLS READ

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
valoncan

Engine Temperature MX3 GS?? PLS READ

Post by valoncan »

My engine is very very hot when on working temperature
Is there a way to keep it cooler? I mean something like a lower temp thermostat, or a lower temp. fan sensor or anything I can do to cool it a bit more.
Like last night when I got back from work, the damn thing was hotter than I ever seen. Like I was under the impression that if I threw an egg in my engine it would freaking fry.
I know it gets hot and stuff, but not hot to a point where you can not even bring your hand close.
Any ideas
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
jumboplay

Re: Engine Temperature MX3 GS?? PLS READ

Post by jumboplay »

Several silly things you can try. First, you can drill a hole in your termostat, and the car will never warm up properly, kinda like a stuck open thermostat. Second of all, get a cheap aftermarket thermostat, or one with a different temp range - same idea as the hole. I had a cheap one and it was ALWAYS lower temp...I hated it, but hey, it works. Third of all, just run with your heat on. Doesnt have to be full blast, but it'll certainly cool your car down. If you're running your AC, that'll make your engine hotter, so don't use it if you can handle it. I'm going to assume your coolant and water pump are good and there are no mechanical problems. Anyway, good luck!
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

If the coolant temperature shown on the gauge is ok, there is nothing to worry about. Modern engines are designed to run hot - they work better that way. If the coolant temperature is too high, then you have a problem. The most likely cause is that the thermostat is not opening fully, and the cure is a new thermostat.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
newflow

Post by newflow »

IanL advice is totally correct and is a follower. If you need your engine to be even cooler than what it is and dont want to work at all there is a product call Red Line's Water Wetter. ( more info on this go to: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm ) They claim to reduce a 30c temp.

Hope it helps!!
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I think your referring to how hot the engine bay gets and not the actual water temperature.

Ceramic coating of the exhaust manifolds or ceramic coated headers will help a small amount. Phenolic spacers for the intake manifold keep the manifold itself a bit cooler. Besides that Thres not really much to do. It's just really tight under the hood and not much room for the heat to escape.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I don't know about 30 degrees for water wetter. But I did notice slightly cooler temp reading in city driving, and noticibly cooler temp reading on freeway driving. But as far as actually being able to touch stuff in your engine compartment, you need phenolic spacers. It doesn't make it so cool you can lean against it all day, but it will keep you from needing to put ice on your 2nd degree burn just from brushing against it. But at least I now feel safe resting my custom plug wires and ground wires against the side of the manifold.
valoncan

Post by valoncan »

Thanks guys!

Mechanically is all fine and the temp stays exactly where it stayed always is just that it is very hot.
My father said that taking off the thermostat, so driving with like no thermostat in the summer will help.
Not that he is like a car genious or something but he told me that back in the day that's what they did to keep the car temp down and stuff.
To me it made no sense, but he claims that it's doable.
I am going to actually flush the rad, and see if i can get a lower temp therm.
Thank you all!
Never think that you will get two if you don't give one!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not to say your father is wrong, but if you remove the thermostat you will get worse performance from your motor. The heat actually helps the motor. Under hood temps can be lowered as described as above with out affecting the motors operating temp.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I'd say your father is harking back many years, when the design of engines was much less advanced, and overcooling (which is what will happen if you run without a thermostat) did not matter very much. The engine will also take much longer to warm up, which will be bad for fuel consumption, deposits in the cylinders (especially on the plugs), greater wear because poorer lubrication.....

There's no harm in you flushing the rad, but don't expect any difference if the coolant temp gauge is ok at present. If the coolant is cooled a little more by the rad, the thermostat will just close a little, to maintain designed condition.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

newflow wrote:IanL advice is totally correct and is a follower. If you need your engine to be even cooler than what it is and dont want to work at all there is a product call Red Line's Water Wetter. ( more info on this go to: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm ) They claim to reduce a 30c temp. Hope it helps!!
Has anyone used this water wetter from Redline and what were your results?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think your father thinks the car runs like older ones..for example my old maxima runs awesome when cold (alot of carbon buildup because of that) On the mx3 you can get a radiator from radiatorworld.com around 130 shipped. All metal no plastic and slighty bigger. I havent seen this on a mazda but when i bought my nissan the guy painted it with ceramic paint..looked crappy BUT you can actually touch the manifold without getting burned..He used 2 coats the first coat was ugly but second coat was shiny. Im not sure if this would help performance.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

I have had Water Wetter in for a couple of weeks now and do not seem to notice a difference. I guess you would have to compare the time it takes to heat up to normal operating temp to see a difference perhaps.

my 2 cents.

:lol: :lol: 8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I removed 2 litres of 50/50 coolant and replaced with 2 litres of demineralized water which included 8oz of water wetter in it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

jschrauwen wrote:I removed 2 litres of 50/50 coolant and replaced with 2 litres of demineralized water which included 8oz of water wetter in it.
Sounds like a good move. I run 60/40 H20/antifreeze mix w/8oz water wetter. Similarly, added the WW at same time changing the mix from 50/50 to 60/40. Saw a small drop on the temp gauge peak position. If mem serves, WW helps eliminate "hotspots" so by itself doesn't generally lower overall coolant temp gauge readings. I fig'd the higher H20 mix is likely cause of the temp reading to drop a bit. Still, eliminating hot spots is also good so the WW stays in. :D
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Has anyone used this water wetter from Redline and what were your results?
I tried that stuff in my Nova about 10 years ago.. didnt do a damn thing for it.. for the Nova I ended up putting an additional cooling fan as a "Pusher" on the front of the radiator.. that solved my cooling problems for that car. Maybe it will work better in a engine with aluminum heads. But it sure didnt do squat for my built 350.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”