KLZE problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jordan69

KLZE problem

Post by jordan69 »

so i just installed my new KLZE motor, and i can get it running when i hold the throttle wide open, but it sounds REALLY bad like a big old V8 engine with a really loud exhaust is what it sounds like, i wonder is just my timing off or what is wrong? the only engine codes i could pull are 16 and 29, which is from the EGR system that i took out, so all my sensors are be working good. any help would be appreciated.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE problem

Post by PATDIESEL »

I hope that it sounds like a v8 becuase you don't have exhaust. Do you have exhaust? Mine did sound mighty mean when I ran it w/o the cat or muffler.
As for it not cranking, double check timing and make sure the VAF in going the right way, sparkplugs are in good condition and properly gapped, wires are in good condition (never trust the pre-gapped ones they are allways off)ignition wires are correctly lined up (however it shouldn't crank at all if they are off) This should get you started. The marks to line up the timing on the heads are hard to see and I wish I had taken a pic of them to show you, but maybe someone else has one so that you can make sure. You might also try adjusting the disty timing after you are sure the timing belt is correct. Do this by turning it completely one way and then try to crank if it still won't start turn it the other way some and try again untill you have gone all the way o the other side. 4-5 turns should get you from one side to the other and should be enough to see if that is the problem.
If not these then you must have a more complex probelm.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

ok, well i got it started, and the reason it was so loud was cuz i forgot to bolt up one of the exhaust manifolds to the down pipe, its timed right and runs good except for one cylinder and there is a really loud tick when it is running, and it ticks faster as the rpms increase, could this be a fuel injector?
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
Exlex

Post by Exlex »

sounds alarming, do a compression check on the engine and dont run it more then necessary. Check the plugs for color and try pulling the cable and see if it makes any difference.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by Kokaneedude:
ok, well i got it started, and the reason it was so loud was cuz i forgot to bolt up one of the exhaust manifolds to the down pipe, its timed right and runs good except for one cylinder and there is a really loud tick when it is running, and it ticks faster as the rpms increase, could this be a fuel injector?
the ticking sound you describe is comon on our engine..it's not harmfull..try synt. oil and i should go down a bit
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

no, in know what THAT ticking sound sounds like, but this was different, so i changed the spark plug wires and it went away, but the engine still seems to want to run kind of rough, and it blows white smoke whenever i tap on the throttle. but the weird thing is is that i changed the spark plugs too and the old spark plugs were gapped perfectly and there was no white residue on them so i am wondering if it is just **** in the engine from sitting in the engine yard for so long or what the hell.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

White smoke could indicate a blown headgasket. This would allow coolant into the cylinder which comes out as white smoke.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

how long has the car set? i know mine blew white smoke when i first started it because of water that was laying in the exhaust
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mine blew alittle white smoke for a few days too. The seals get loose if the engine sits for a long period of time. Alittle heat from the motor should warp things back into place. You sould first check for any coolant on the plugs, if you have some then you might need a new head gasket if it doesn't clear up in a couple hundred miles. Take it easy unitll you have put some miles on her and then recheck. I know that is going to be difficult, but it is better than replacing the motor.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

yeah, there seems to be alot of condensate coming out of the exhaust right now, i am guessing it is probly just water in the exhaust line, i havent had the engine up to operating temp yet, so maybe after i get it on the road it will clear itself up.
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Assuming the ticking you heard was plug wires arcing...did it seem a bit smoother after?

By sounds like V8 did you mean a rough rhythmic rumble? Do check your plug wires order, the most definite rumble is plugs in the wrong order or not firing...

let us know,
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

yeah, that ticking sound was one of the plugs arcing, and the rumble was cuz i forgot to tighten the bolts on my exhaust manifolds..oops...but its all good now, she runs great, just got to get a new throttle cable if i can ever find one. does anyone know the length of our throttle cable?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Go to a bike shop and buy "knarps". They are cable ends that have a set screw to hold them on. You cut the end off of your cable, make it the right length and screw the narp on. They cost ~$5.

http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=512027
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

that would be good but the thing is my throttle cable is starting to unravel and it is getting hung up in the bracket that holds it, so i need to get a new one neways.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”