Higher compression pistons

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Golliwog

Higher compression pistons

Post by Golliwog »

Well, the KLZE is not even in the car yet and I'm already thinking ahead for the possibilites. For my winter project I was considering either doing a turbo setup for it, or get the 650hp@9500rpm (or whatever it was) kit from cyborgzero, in PREPARATION for a turbo setup.

Right now I'm leaning towards the kit first. Now my main concern is the compression. Theoretically (according the FAQ) adding 12:1 pistons and then boosting that would have the biggest potential.... But forget boost for a second. My question is what would need to be done in order to run 12:1 pistons safely if anything? Going to want higher octane fuel for sure, which is another concern of mine, I'm in canada so we don't even have as high of octane fuel as in the states.

So what do you guys think?
-Golli
Sam Baker

Re: Higher compression pistons

Post by Sam Baker »

hmm.. i'd prefer the lower compression pistons like they sell the 8:1... cuz that would be better for higher boost. but then again you *could get the 11 or 12 compressions and like boost 3psi? lol duno tho... thats really high. 650hp is enough isnt it??? :freak:
92 Autozam AZ3
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

650hp is the maximum the kit can handle not it will produce..I'm sure you knew just want to clarify things
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

Yes, I understand that. But I mean is there anything else that would need to be done to handle the higher compression? I mentioned higher octane, but will pump gas here in canda be sufficent (I think 91 is the max we can get around where I am) to handle 12:1 pistons. I've heard people say before that higher compression pistons will work great for high hp, but are not practical for a daily driver. Wondering why they would say that, and what could be done to change that.

Edit: forgot to add, that this is without boost at all, just an N/A monster. :)

<small>[ July 19, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Golliwog ]</small>
-Golli
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

here in Canada the highest ocatane we can get is 94 octane (petro-canada)...you can still mix it with xylene to get higher octane..there's agood post on probetalk talking about it right now...I don't think you'll need something else to run higher compression. BTW czt kit is 11:1 not 12:1 IIRC
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

Says on the site that they'll do 12:1 for special orders but don't keep them in stock anymore.
-Golli
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

oh sorry missed that
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

you will need forged everything internally for 650hp.

you will need a forged crank, rods, rod bolts, pistons, piston rings, better valves, valve springs and upgraded Hydraulic lifters.

you will need a MUCH BIGGER FUEL RAIL, fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

you will need a stand alone ecu (computer) to program the fuel delivery.

you will need dyno time to program it for max efficiency.

you will need to redo the drivetrain as it would probbaly $hit itself at that kind HP, so a better tranny. YOu will need a stage 3 clutch and flywheel.

you will need better suspension and wheels for traction.

you will need custom motor mounts as i dont think even the mazdaspeed ones will hold that kinda HP.

you will need stronger drive axles and cv joints etc...etc... driveshaft.com i think has em or sumthing like that.

you will need a custom intercooler, piping and turbo.

to fit a bigger turbo you will need to relocate your battery and coolant resovoir. Your exhaust should be opened up to 3 inches all the way through.

you will need bigger brakes to handle the huge acceleration and decceleration so slotted rotors better calipers even. Or go for a big brake kit.

allll your vaccum lines and fuel lines need to be replaced with stronger new ones cause under more pressure or load constantly the old ones brake.

you will need to blueprint and balance the engine to get it to rev to 9500.

got money??
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

huhh..I don't think the guy wants to have 650hp man..He just want the kit than can HANDLE 650 hp :)
I don't think we are even close to see a 650hp mx3
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

12:1 compression can handle up to 5psi on 100 octane without detonation. 92 octane can only handle about 12psi. More boost will require better octane. Source: Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

<small>[ July 19, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: PATDIESEL ]</small>
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

The goal is most certainly not 650hp, lol. Never know what might happen 10 years down the road of course, I will never sell this car, so it may happen! But my main concern was will an N/A KLZE engine running with the above mentioned kit using 12:1 cr pistons run on the pump gas around here (91 octane, :( ) without a problem?

Forget about the turbo, I guess I wasn't all that clear, all I meant was that it will happen in the future, but I was trying to decide between turboing the stock ZE or getting this upgrade kit now, then worry about the turbo later.
-Golli
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

regardless higher compression internals and higher revs like 9500 is similar effect wear wise to turbo more compression then stock, higher revs then stock way more wear and tear and you will need to forge the internals still. For higher revs and more compression that list is still almost all valid. except for alot of the tranny stuff.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

more revs = more fuel needed =
more compression makes that harder to deliver

need a better fuel set up and forged internals.

to get your engine running upto 10g you still need to blueprint and balance it all and then tune it with a stand alone....

then theres the clutch flywheel and other **** you probably wanna do.

fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

you should turbo it now and worry about the kit later, as there is many many things to take into consideration(engine wise) with this kit you want. therefore have fun with the turbo as you think. :)
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
here in Canada the highest ocatane we can get is 94 octane (petro-canada
Sonoco also has 94 Octane
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”