KLZE opinion

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE opinion

Post by babyblueMX3 »

big difference...and 2 second less on the quarter mile too ;) ..you'll love it trust me
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Ayaz:
What would be better. Getting a brand new crate (brand new) KLDE for $2000US or a used KLZE?
I'd rather have that new KLDE crate engine. Think about it. What would it cost for new Throttle Position Sensor($160), Idle Air Control Sensor (I've heard $600 for that one alone), new timing pulleys ($150), new hydraulic timing tensioner arm ($150), all new seals and gaskets (worth over $250), new water pump ($60), new spark plug wires ($80), NEW distributor ($300), new crank pulley ($200). I'm at $2000 already in the stuff that might need replacing on any second hand motor, and I' haven't even included the block itself, the new intake manifold, and the new throttle body. And the KLDE is set up for passing emmisions.

It has about the same torque as the KLZE, and the computer for the KLDE can be had for $100 easy whereas a KLZE computer usually runs $250. If you really wanted the extra horsepower, you could always stick a set of performance cams on and call it a day. There are people on ProbeTalk that dyno just as high, if not higher than KLZE's with thier KLDE setups.

Just something about new I can't say no to.
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I love my ze compared to the k8!

As for the 2000 dollars mentioned for repairs. If you inspect the engine before/as you install it, chances are hardly any of those items mentioned will need to be replaced. In my case all of those items where in perfect shape.

Have a compression test done by the engine supplier.

Just get your flywheel machined and put in a new clutch, tune it and your good to go.

I have noticed very few people on mx6.com that have the kl03 output the same as a ze, without a lot of work done.

But new is nice also. Either way you will like your mx3 much more.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

No one on probetalk or mx6.com dyno's the same as a klze without using one or more of the KLZE parts including the IM, cams or heads. Unless they are turbo'ing or using NOS.

The KLZE is an OK motor. The short as hell gearing on the MX3 isn't suited well for this engine. If I had to do it again, I'd much rather go with a turbo 4-cylinder than a KLZE, they simply make more power.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
synap
Supporting Member

Post by synap »

I also want to do the ZE swap, but I do not have the tools or space to do this. Is there any where I can get the complete swap done, eng/curved neck, etc. that is close to Ottawa? I know of Aspec, but a little far. (lazy :p ) Anyone know of shops near here that do this? Does Osaka do this?

thx.
chertel

Post by chertel »

Does anyone know how far Noyan USA is from Toronto ontario?
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Has anyone from western canad abought from noyan? Did u get charged taxes etc?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
No one on probetalk or mx6.com dyno's the same as a klze without using one or more of the KLZE parts including the IM, cams or heads. Unless they are turbo'ing or using NOS.
That estimate was assuming only one mod - Interprep cams. According to Interprep's site, a KLDE with KLDE intake and Interprep 280 cams do 190 HP and 174 lb/ torque. What're the factory specs on a curved neck KLZE anyways?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
What're the factory specs on a curved neck KLZE anyways?
200PS = 197 hp
223Nm = 164.5 ft-lb torque
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

That estimate was assuming only one mod - Interprep cams. According to Interprep's site, a KLDE with KLDE intake and Interprep 280 cams do 190 HP and 174 lb/ torque. What're the factory specs on a curved neck KLZE anyways?
Show me a dyno sheet from someone independent of their site, otherwise that information is totally false.

You are trusting what a commercial website says as fact?? :roll:

Even guys on PT with mikeseli's reground camshafts (and he has numerous different "specs" to choose from) never hit 170whp without upgrading the head w/KL131 ones and installing KLZE im's.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You are trusting what a commercial website says as fact?? :roll:
I'm a sheep. What can I say?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by IanL:
What're the factory specs on a curved neck KLZE anyways?
200PS = 197 hp
223Nm = 164.5 ft-lb torque
That's from the curved neck one with the KL01 heads?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Its a JDM Eunos 800 (Millenia) so its the curved neck - I don't know about heads, cams; I believe its the factory spec, but I had to use Babelfish.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
RobertoCarlos

Post by RobertoCarlos »

As far as I am concerned, all motor the ZE outperforms the DE hands down. I was getting beat all the time by my friends in their civics and integras and preludes. Mind you that ws wiht the 08. I dropped in the ZE(without the MS8 mani or TB) and none of them can keep up with me anymore. One of them sold their prelude and bought a turbo eclpise just so he could still be the fastest of all of us. I say you shoud go for it. Even though you have more tuning options for the DE form places like CZT I am hearing a lot of bad things about them.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”