could bad valve cover gaskets cause you to burn oil??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx-3xplosiv31

could bad valve cover gaskets cause you to burn oil??

Post by mx-3xplosiv31 »

I know my valve cover gaskets are BAD, and I need to replace them, but could they cause you to burn oil? or just leak it? not sure, I think I need to get a new engine, but all the yards in my area are $500 + for a KLDE, and I can't see the point in putting in another KL08, so I am kinda stuck.

Aaron
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: could bad valve cover gaskets cause you to burn oil??

Post by IanL »

Leak yes, burn no. The gasket stops the oil getting out of the cover, it has no connection with the cylinders.

I assume there is some other reason you are thinking of replacing the engine - valve cover gaskets shouldn't be a reason.

<small>[ May 22, 2004, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: could bad valve cover gaskets cause you to burn oil??

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

IanL gives sound advice. Visually inspect the outside of your valve covers and areas directly below them for signs of gasket leakage. If you're also detecting the smell of burning oil from the engine area, most likely would be valve gasket-oil leakage dripping and vaporizing on a hot engine, exhaust manifold etc. Replacing your valve cover gaskets is an easy & inexpensive fix & commonly needed on transverse mounted engines due to high degree of vibration. If you replace your own gaskets, stay within torque specs when tightening the covers.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”