KL-01 VS KL-31 cams

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: KL-01 VS KL-31 cams

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
Its not an OBD-2 ecu but happens to use almost the same exact wiring and pin outs. It is the ECU from a J-spec millenia.
That's terrific. I had no idea that they had adopted for JDM the wiring scheme that came with OBD2. Sounds like you're right, and our troubles are over. The codes are not a problem for UK cars, as we don't have the CEL fitted.

Could you post the link to that thread on ProbeTalk, please?

<small>[ May 04, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bubba_03

Post by bubba_03 »

So the cams dont make a difference really, its more or less the different ECU's right? People started getting off topic on the KL62 stuff so I just needed a definate answer because Im going to run KL01 cams on my ZE with a 5spd KL36.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The cams are slightly different and the intake manifold is different- thats why the different ecu.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Taras

Post by Taras »

The OBD-2 wiring uses the same 4 connector setup as the KL62 ecu. I found a thread on probetalk where someone converted their 96 probe to run the KL62. They listed the same issues that I did above, just the maf wiring change and the error codes because there was no atx.
If KL-62 ECU is a J-spec ECU, I do not see how it could throw error codes, because Japan does not have CEL's,
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

You can read the error codes through the diagnostic port still. Not sure what you need to do that though.

Ok here is the millenia vaf conversion-
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701090811&highlight=millenia+vaf

Here is a J-spec KL62 on ebay-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2477068615&category=33596

you can see in the pics the connectors are OBD-2 style and are the same as the US spec millenia. SOmeone just needs to check a jspec wiring diagram to see if the pin outs are the same. Even if they arent it would be pretty easy to repin- as compared to a complete rewire.

here is a webpage, text only, that has a little info on the ECU's.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:khPU3QRNZGUJ:members.rogers.com/luckybob/Pictures3.htm+kl62+mazda&hl=en

<small>[ May 06, 2004, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I've read some ppl in the past say "bah, it doesn't matter which cams you use". In actuality, it does. THe KL31's are in fact better.

Think about it....KL31's reach peak torque at 5500 while KL01's reach peak torque at 4800.

When you are shifting while running the 1/4 mile, your rev's aren't going to fall from 7000 to 4800, they are going to be closer to the 5500 range. This translates into better times at the track.

My car still feels ridiculously torquey around town. I honestly don't think there is a hell of a diff between the lower-mid range rpm torque bands. My torque curve when I dynoe'd my car was pretty damn flat.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by lazzyie:
kl31 ecu is for the straight necked motor so you get a basic VTec type kick after 4000rpms, run a kl ecu and your power will be lower in the band
"run a kl ecu" what is "kl"?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

There are some people running the straight neck ZE engine in their MX-3's. With the KL31 cams and the straight neck manifold those should run great with the KL31 & KL36 ecu's. Before it didn't really seem like the extra trouble was worth it for the straight neck manifold but maybe it is.
I think you're a little confused.. (Maybe I'm wrong?) There are two basic types of KL-ZEs:
1) STOCK strait neck, from MX-6 or 626, KL31 cams (high-end TQ) made for KL31/KL36 ECU
2) STOCK curved neck, from Millenia, KL01 cams (low-end tQ), made for KL62 (AUTO) ECU

So to correct TSIMiata ( ? ) MOST people use a "strait neck [klze]" in their MX-3s, they just change the intake manifold to a curved one (but they still have the high-TQ KL31 cams). But for those of us that had a curved IM stock, we have Millenia engines. They are the same except for the stock intake manifold is curved (above) and the have KL01 cams, not KL31 cams. This is what changes the peak TQ rpm to about 4200 not 5500. The VRIS timing in the KL31/36 ECUs is set up for high-QT KL31 cams in STOCK strait neck ZEs. So, when you use a KL31/36 ECU with a MILLINIA ENGINE (with KL01 cams) the VRIS is off a bit... The VRIS timing for the KL01 cams is correct in a Millina KL62 ECU, though.. Except it's for an auto tranny...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by mdavis:
There are some people running the straight neck ZE engine in their MX-3's. With the KL31 cams and the straight neck manifold those should run great with the KL31 & KL36 ecu's. Before it didn't really seem like the extra trouble was worth it for the straight neck manifold but maybe it is.
I think you're a little confused.. (Maybe I'm wrong?) There are two basic types of KL-ZEs:
1) STOCK strait neck, from MX-6 or 626, KL31 cams (high-end TQ) made for KL31/KL36 ECU
2) STOCK curved neck, from Millenia, KL01 cams (low-end tQ), made for KL62 (AUTO) ECU

So to correct TSIMiata ( ? ) MOST people use a "strait neck [klze]" in their MX-3s, they just change the intake manifold to a curved one (but they still have the high-TQ KL31 cams). But for those of us that had a curved IM stock, we have Millenia engines. They are the same except for the stock intake manifold is curved (above) and the have KL01 cams, not KL31 cams. This is what changes the peak TQ rpm to about 4200 not 5500. The VRIS timing in the KL31/36 ECUs is set up for high-QT KL31 cams in STOCK strait neck ZEs. So, when you use a KL31/36 ECU with a MILLINIA ENGINE (with KL01 cams) the VRIS is off a bit... The VRIS timing for the KL01 cams is correct in a Millina KL62 ECU, though.. Except it's for an auto tranny...
You just said what I said...

IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mdavis:
.....The VRIS timing for the KL01 cams is correct in a Millina KL62 ECU, though.. Except it's for an auto tranny...
...and it needs the car's harness to be modified for the four plug/socket pin-outs (like OBDII).
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

You just said what I said...
For clarification ;)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

What we really need is a programmable ECU tuner ala UTEC for the WRX so that we can run whatever program (curve neck KL31 cam etc) that we want, and that is affordable, which still utilizes the stock ECU, wiring, injectors and sensors.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
Golliwog

Post by Golliwog »

Doesn't corksport sell something like that? They would program it based on information you give them type of thing.
Upgrading of the ECU is generally something used for tuning after other modifications. We can do custom programs (specific settings of the fuel and timing maps) determined by a dyno tuner also.
Wouldn't that solve the problem?
-Golli
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no corksport doesnt reprogram like that, they just make your k8 ecu to the klze ecu but JET does chipping for our car so in a since you could get your ecu chipped to where it will run how you want it
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by J Love:
What we really need is a programmable ECU tuner ala UTEC for the WRX so that we can run whatever program (curve neck KL31 cam etc) that we want, and that is affordable, which still utilizes the stock ECU, wiring, injectors and sensors.
Apexi SAFC. If I find that the jspec fueling is wrong for my KL01 cammed ZE I'll be putting one in.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”