So how much aftermarket support do MX3s have?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

So how much aftermarket support do MX3s have?

Post by Guest »

I own a 93 V6 (1.8L) MX3 but I have heard from some people that MX3s dont have any aftermarket support at all like turbos, super chargers, intake manifolds, cylinder heads, cams, ect except for a small 4-7hp intake and a 100HP NOS.
Is this true?

I have also heard that there is a different Mazda engine that has enough aftermarket support to reach about 450hp with 150hp NOS. Is this true and if so, can someone give me the name of the engine, a link to a site or faqs about the engine.

By the way, would you guys call me crazy if I was to say uhh... buy a Ford 5.0L engine (that were being used for Mustangs sense 1984 to 1995)? Would it even fit on the MX3 engine compartment?
I know I would have to change alot of stuff in the car like the transmission and alot of other things but I just want to know because the 5.0 V8 engine have tons of aftermarket suport.
DJPRO

Re: So how much aftermarket support do MX3s have?

Post by DJPRO »

Go to the V6 FAQ
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING

Post by Guest »

Originally posted by DJPRO:
Go to the V6 FAQ
No offense or anything but you should get rid of that wing on your car.

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Mustang and MX3 Teen ]</small>
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Your 15? Anything sports oriented when you first get your license is a BAD idea. You *will* crash it and hopefully nobody gets severely hurt or killed in the process. As much as you'd like to think your the best driver there ever was your not- At that age I thought the same way. If I had a nickel for every kid I knew in high school with a mustang that crashed it I'd have an *** load of nickels!

My first car was a Ford ranger diesel. Had a whole whopping 55hp! Looking back that was the best first car ever. It got 50mpg and was so slow it made it real hard to get myself into trouble. All though I did manage to t-bone a van and have a 6" scar up my leg to prove it :D

My advice find the slowest best gas mileage car you can get your hands on. You'll thank yourself later.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i'd like to know where you are getting your money at 15, especially for the insurance on a 5.0...

There is some aftermarket support, but you need to cross-breed some parts with the Mazda 626's/Mx-6, Millenias and Ford Probes using the 2.5L v6 since that 2.5 is in the same familly at the 1.8 v6 (K8DE) your GS uses. There is only 1 guy i know that turbo'd the 1.8l v6 but we dont have any power figures. But you can bit teh 2.5's into your Mx-3. You can swap in a local 2.5l (KLDE) from any of the above vehicles, that puts out 170hp and turbocharge it upto 300hp at the wheels. Or for pure N/A power, get a japanese 2.5l v6 (KLZE), those make 200hp, but are harder to turbo because of their higher compression ratio, But either way turbo's and superchargers for the k-series v6's will be custom, there are no kits

Now, you can go "backwards" and put in a 1.8l 4cyl (BP as its called) (alot of work to do a v6 to 4cyl conversion). Those are 150hp and are a hard find, but can be turbo'd upwards of 500hp, and thats without No2. Those engines came stock turbo and you'll need to look to the miata tuners (or 323 tuners overseas) for parts

We'd only call ya crazy for putting a 5.0l into an mx-3 cause of the work involved. The main problem would be the fact that teh Mx-3 is FWD, while the 5.0l is designed for RWD. What my friend wants to do it put a rotary engine from an Rx-7 into his Mx-3, it'll cost him C$10'000 to have it done, and i have no idea whats involved.

No2 isnt really popular on Mx-3, its mostly engine swaps and/or turbos.

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Post by Guest »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:

Now, you can go "backwards" and put in a 1.8l 4cyl (BP as its called) (alot of work to do a v6 to 4cyl conversion). Those are 150hp and are a hard find, but can be turbo'd upwards of 500hp, and thats without No2. Those engines came stock turbo and you'll need to look to the miata tuners (or 323 tuners overseas) for parts
The thing is that I am planning to buy a 5.0 when I am in collage not High School.

Anyway I would like to quote part of your reply because I find it very hard to believe that with 1 turbo (that adds like 20% HP) you are going to be able to get a 4cyl engine to 500hp.

I have seen in many magizines that have turbos for sale for V8s and V6s and what I have seen is that Turbos for V8 engines add up to 50 - 60 percent HP
turbos for V6 engines add 30 - 40 percent more hp
And as for V4 engines with turbo, I dont know... but I am guessing it can be somewhere from 15 to 25 percent more hp.
Am I wrong?

I also know for a fact that a 4cyl engine could only handle 1 turbo
a 6cyl engine can handle 2
and a 8cyl engine can handle 3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar

Post by Guest »

Thats amazing
Until this day, I never knew you could put about 500hp on 4cyl engines or even 6cyl engines.
I see 5.0 Mustangs running 10s with 500hp and a lot of torque but the bad thing is that is the highest amount of HP the 5.0s could handle before the engine blows. As for the 4.6s, I seen them handle 900hp.

Post by Guest »

I got a question though, all the article talked about is how he put the 323 GT-R turbo manifold. Is there a site that talks about what other stuff he put in his car? Cylinder Heads?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Few more links:

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002917

Crazy:
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/800HP_KLV6/wetdream.html

Sorry, thats all the info i know :(

<small>[ April 05, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Originally posted by 5.0 Mustang and MX3 Teen:
Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Thats amazing
Until this day, I never knew you could put about 500hp on 4cyl engines or even 6cyl engines.
I see 5.0 Mustangs running 10s with 500hp and a lot of torque but the bad thing is that is the highest amount of HP the 5.0s could handle before the engine blows. As for the 4.6s, I seen them handle 900hp.
You know that the Nissan skyline is a straight 2.6 litre 6 sylinder wich they (with 1 turbo) are able to get above 1000hp from? :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Explain this...

you JUST registered

you say..
I own a 93 V6 (1.8L) MX3 but I have heard from some people that MX3s dont have any aftermarket support at all like turbos, super chargers, intake manifolds, cylinder heads, cams, ect except for a small 4-7hp intake and a 100HP NOS.
BUT
your sig says..
I'm 15 and next year I will own a 93 V6 Black MX3.
I am a big Ford Mustang fan
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Hey, bro, you seem to know some car lingo for your age ::golf clap::, but I really suggest researching at least a couple days before you start asking dumb questions and giving spoiler advice to one of the best rated members on the site.
Now, that said, the Mx-3 doesn't really have alot of aftermarket support when stock, but it still has some insane potenetial. There are alot of knowlegeable people on this site.As stated by Nd4SpdSE, your best bet would be a 2.5L swap, KL-ZE for NA or even a light turbo (my plan) or KL-DE for big boost (less complicated). Once you can drive it, you'll see that it doesn't take ungodly horsepower to make this little car fly. A 5.0 may sound like alot of fun, but it would flatten your wallet so bad you wouldn't be able to see over the dash anymore.
Well, at least you came to the right place. Good luck!
-John
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Explain this...

you JUST registered

you say..

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT
your sig says..

quote:
I'm 15 and next year I will own a 93 V6 Black MX3.
I am a big Ford Mustang fan
Uh oh.... look like Lucy got some splainin' to do.

Yes, he is Mr. Troll, of the Ogden Utah trolls.....
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

Sounds like the same troll that was here a while back. Can you post his IP? Let's trace it to his house.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”