engine or trans ticking...no idle-just shuts off

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
morph_mx-3

engine or trans ticking...no idle-just shuts off

Post by morph_mx-3 »

My engine or my tranny started ticking about a week ago, and it has progressively gotten worse. It dies down once i get into 4th & 5th gear. When i let out on the clutch while changing to another gear, it whines. And i was coming down a hill in the snow in 2nd gear, and then engine kept stalling until i shifted to 3rd gear. Now, when i start the car, it idles to 1000 rpm for a second or two, then shuts off. Anyone have any clue what is wrong? Whether it is my Engine or my transmission? If anyone can help i need to get this resolved before i ship out to iraq around x-mas. Thanks for any help!
93 MX-3 GS
morph_mx-3

Re: engine or trans ticking...no idle-just shuts off

Post by morph_mx-3 »

also my oil light is on...i checked the oil and the the dipstick says it is full, all the way to the top line actually. I am thinking maybe it is the oil pump and that is why it is ticking (because there is no oil getting in there... anyone?....
93 MX-3 GS
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Oil Pump is ran by the crank so it just couldn't stop spinning. Have you been leaking an MTX tranny fluid? you might wanna get under it and check the fluid level. I think its a 17mm bolt. The shop manual isn't up anymore so I can't refer you to it. Send me an email and I email a shot from the manual.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

So what's causing it to rev to 1000RPM and stop? Not tranny fluod, I think. I have the same problem after rebuildnig my K8 (the no idle problem, not the whinnig) What could be causing it?
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

He has a tranny issue, you don't, you have air leak some where, take a change of starting fuild and stray it around the runners where they bolt to the heads and the intake boot. If it rev's up you got a leak. Did you cap off all the unused vaccum lines on the intake. I assume you've played with the tps already. You used a timing light and set it to 10 degrees with the TEN&GND jumpered?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”