I am having slight problem with ZE ECU PLEASE HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RobertoCarlos

I am having slight problem with ZE ECU PLEASE HELP

Post by RobertoCarlos »

I have a 95 mx-3 with a klze engine. I have been running the 1.8 ecu but just got the ZE ECU today amd it definetely makes a BIG difference. The only thing is after my car gets about 60 degrees in temp radiator fan comes on and stays on. Is it because 92-93 use 3 temp sensors and 94-95 use 2. Its a kl31 ecu and I was also wondering if ZE ECUs can go into limp mode.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: I am having slight problem with ZE ECU PLEASE HELP

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

its definitely the fact that you only have a 2 sensor '95 mx-3, i remember Lazzyie mentioning it to me before i purchased mine
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Just a thought but its prob not such a bad thing to have the fan going, the ze runs a little hotter anyway due to higher compression, as long as your alternator is up to the task.<p>Maybe you could adjust the tps a bit to make it shut off.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

no there is no limp mode, no your fans will not shut off *ever*, no it doesnt do anything, mine are on when the car is on all the time
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
AbRasiF

Post by AbRasiF »

Anyone knows a way to stop the fan from always running? Splice a wire to fake that you have 2 sensors??

Etienne
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

No there is no way to fake it out. You would have to actually figure out which pins on the ecu go to the sensor in question and run a new set of wires to a new sensor.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
AbRasiF

Post by AbRasiF »

Lazzie: I don't get it then... everyone that has a 94+ MX-3 with a KLZE and it's ECU has this problem?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I would think so, if someone can give me a few shots the wiring diagram for the 94-95 ECU I can tell you how you could wire it up differently.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I've had a look at the MX-3 and MX-6 diagrams in Chilterns, and it seems that the MX-3 has a single stage cooling fan, but the 2.5 litre cars have a two-stage fan.

I'm guessing that, after the engine starts, the KLZE ECU keeps the first stage on, and only switches the second stage to keep the water temp within limits.

ECU terminal 3L controls the MX-3 fan relay, and the 2.5 litre first-stage fan relay.

If you want to change your MX-3 to the 2.5 litre configuration, you would need to fit a two stage fan, and the two second-stage relays (why two?), and wire them to ECU contact 2P. But if you aren't overheating or overcooling, why bother?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bubba_03

Post by bubba_03 »

If you take the wiring harnes out of 92-93 GS and put it on a 94+ would that prevent the fans from staying on constantly?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The '93 models have an additional Water Thermosensor (Fan) which connects to 2G on the ECU. If your engine has the additional sensor, but the harness hasn't got the wire, you could just run one wire to connect it up.

I wouldn't be too sure it would make any difference to the continuous running of the fan, though, bearing in mind that later MX-3s still have the single speed fan, without the extra sensor, and the fan doesn't run continuously. I may be wrong, but my guess is it's bound up with the two-speed fan.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”