kl-ze potential

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dPmunky

kl-ze potential

Post by dPmunky »

i am 2 seconds away from ordering a j-spec klze engine and was wondering what you guys think the most power i could get outta it....minus turbo & nos....i figure w/a light flywheel, chip, exhaust, air cleaner i'd could get the thing around 240hp w/a 14sec 1/4 mile time?....am i being to optimistic or am i close? im just wanting to know, cause i figure it'll be worth the swap if i can get a lot of power outta it
"the comma is the weakest of all operators, even the equals, EVEN THE EQUALS! bullies the comma"
--claude comair
food for thought
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: kl-ze potential

Post by babyblueMX3 »

well with all those mods, I don't think you gonna be runnin 14s flat..I think of maybe 14.5 or sometthin around that...and the ze is a GREAT engine by the way..I jsut got one in and let me tell you the k8 is nothing compare to the ZE..sure you can get 240hp with the ze n/a but it will have to have more mods than that...
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dPmunky:
i am 2 seconds away from ordering a j-spec klze engine and was wondering what you guys think the most power i could get outta it....minus turbo & nos....i figure w/a light flywheel, chip, exhaust, air cleaner i'd could get the thing around 240hp w/a 14sec 1/4 mile time?....am i being to optimistic or am i close? im just wanting to know, cause i figure it'll be worth the swap if i can get a lot of power outta it<hr></blockquote><p>You cant get an upgraded ZE chip, and the rest of those mods wont get you 220 I hate to say. I know with a STock ZE, you could run mid 14's or higher. You'd need NOS to break 14 flat.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

My MX-6 gained 15whp from- Test pipe, Catback, intake, under drive pulley, phenolic spacers & aluminum flyhweel. If the ZE responds the same that puts you at 210-215 Hp at the flywheel.Its really only a 7% increase so don't expect miracles. I've seen some posts where people were running cams and getting ~190whp(maybe a tiny bit more) with the ZE. Thats still only ~230Hp at the motor. Without some kind of forced induction it's going to be very hard to get into the 13's. Mid to low 14's should be easy though.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

so i guess my next question is, whats the best way to transfer that power from the flywheel to the tires? regardless, i'll still get the engine the 70hp boost from the k8 is worth it to me...
"the comma is the weakest of all operators, even the equals, EVEN THE EQUALS! bullies the comma"
--claude comair
food for thought
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

You could get a used 93-97 mx6 tranny and have an lsd conversion done on it. Just strip the car for racing. The ZE ecu is a big help. Mazdaspeed mounts filled with polyurethane. While your flywheel is out get it milled down to 13 lbs for $50. Get some drag radials. As for 14s I ran 14.6 with my stock exhaust :shrug: . Aaron the hic ran 13's N/A.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

it was already said, but i will say it again.<p>you can go 13.8 with a striped down mx-3, no a/c, no p/s belt, with a kl-ze, ze ecu, strong motor mounts, CAI, headers,2.5 straight exhaust, no cat, strong clutch, drag radials, 94 octane, and a good tune up, and a VERY good driver.<p>it has been done. I have never heard of a ZE putting out 240 H.P. at the crank NA.<p>It can be done, Cams, headers, exhaust, ported heads, custome intake manifold, and a good bottom end to spin to about 8500 RPMs and a motec stand alone.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Here is my assessment on the KLZE swap based on which mods you choose:<p>
Using KLZE ECU / K8 IM : 150whp, 14.8-15.2 1/4 mile<p>Using KLZE ECU / Millenia or JDM curved neck IM: 160-165whp, 14.3-14.7 1/4 mile<p>All the above mods plus full 2.5" exhaust w/headers and a custom 3" intake: 180-190whp, 13.8-14.2 1/4 mile<p>ALl the above mods plus lightweight flywheel, 150lb interior gutting, solid motor mounts: 180-190hp, 13.? - 14.0<p>I know this car can get into the 13's because I've witnessed on myself. Right now my car runs about a 14.8 which sucks *** , but I'm using stock intake, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and exhaust. I plan on replacing all that stuff soon enough
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

thanks for all the replys...is there a place though that you can take your car and say look i want this and this and they'll do it all, i dont know if a regular mechanic will do some of this stuff if i dont know exactly what i need, ya know? im glad to see the 13 threshold has been broken into NA anyway.(i'd fell like i was cheating w/turbo, er NOS) i have a few grand set aside for a down payment on a new car but just thought hey, if i can do the swap why not go all out
--claude comair
food for thought
UrBaNsTyLe55

Post by UrBaNsTyLe55 »

you can get a ze to do mid 13's low 14's heres a site to prove it, mind you this guys mods are listed, i was impressed he did a 13.78 with an experienced driver in his car
http://protege.a-spec.ca/
92 323 KF-ZE V6 swap done by me 2 1/4 header back exhaust no cat car now for sale for very cheap! email me at queensnysfinnest@aol.com for pics and questions

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”