EGR Questions...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dmikusa

EGR Questions...

Post by dmikusa »

I've got a 92 MX-3 1.8L V6. I'm getting a CEL of 16(EGR Position Sensor). I've taken the car to the dealer and was told that the wiring could be bad or the EGR needs re-placed. Cost of about $800, most of which is labor. <p> 1.) What happens if I don't fix it? (I've already passes e-Check)
2.) I'm getting ~19 mpg city. Will this get better if I fix it?
3.) Will I get better performance by fixing it?
4.) What should I check to make sure the dealer doesn't rip me off?<p>I'm open to suggestions...
jordan69

Re: EGR Questions...

Post by jordan69 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>I've got a 92 MX-3 1.8L V6. I'm getting a CEL of 16(EGR Position Sensor). I've taken the car to the dealer and was told that the wiring could be bad or the EGR needs re-placed. Cost of about $800, most of which is labor.
1.) What happens if I don't fix it? (I've already passes e-Check)
2.) I'm getting ~19 mpg city. Will this get better if I fix it?
3.) Will I get better performance by fixing it?
4.) What should I check to make sure the dealer doesn't rip me off?<p>I'm open to suggestions... <p> <hr></blockquote><p>1. Nothing will happen if you dont fix it, its just for better emissions
2. It might give you some better gas mileage, but there has to be some other problem if you are getting 19 mpg, it should be better than that
3. NO, you will not get better performance, in fact, when you are flooring the car at wide open throttle, the EGR is disabled so it produces full power potential.
4. For 800 dollars, screw it and go buy a ZE engine, the KLZE engines dont have EGR anyways, i wouldnt waste all that money to fix the EGR system, its not worth it.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
dmikusa

Post by dmikusa »

That's about what I figured. Thanks for the confirmations though. What type of gas milage should I be getting on my car with the stock 1.8L Engine. Currently at about 19 - 20 mpg city.
userAttila19

Post by userAttila19 »

I have the same problem, I just adjust and clean the EGR when it get really bad. The CEL goes of for a while. I was quoted $590.00 for the part. It's not worth it.
No time to slow down. 1995 MX-3 GS http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/566272
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

well, as for gas mileage i get about 27-29, and thats part city, part highway driving, so you should get around 24-25 mpg in city driving, and i get around 32-36 mpg on the higway alone.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
dmikusa

Post by dmikusa »

I think I may have an air leak, which, may or may not be causing the bad gas milage. Just wanted to ask if the miles per gallon you were getting was on a stock car or have you modified anything related? Other than that thanks for the help.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”