Power Steering Fluid

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nope-mx3

Power Steering Fluid

Post by nope-mx3 »

I think I got way too little power steering fluid.
Seems it`s a leak in the hose.<p>Is this "dangerous"? What`s the worst thing that can happen?
I got a "ticking" sound when I turn my steering wheel, might this be because of this?
The noise has been there since I got my Mx3, so I haven`t noticed it too much before.<p>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Power Steering Fluid

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nope-mx3:
I think I got way too little power steering fluid.
Seems it`s a leak in the hose.<p>Is this "dangerous"? What`s the worst thing that can happen?
I got a "ticking" sound when I turn my steering wheel, might this be because of this?
The noise has been there since I got my Mx3, so I haven`t noticed it too much before.<p>nope-mx3
<hr></blockquote><p>If its a moderate leak you can drive for awhile as long as you keep fluid levels normal. The ticking sound when you turn is more than likely air in the system. It'll get worse over time. Worst case scenario is you drive when you have no fluid and burn out your pump which would cost about $1000 US to fix in a shop.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

ouch, gotta go buy some power steering fluid tomorrow then :D hehehe<p>Hope it`s not burnt out. The power steering seems to be working, so I guess it`s still functionable.<p>thanks for the reply<p>nope-mx3
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

you'd know it if it was burnt. The system wouldnt work at all. Do you have any hard steering probs? I went thru this last winter, and tho my pump never burnt out, i had a terrible time driving the car, and it would whine and screch at every turn. Get it fixed before it becomes that bad.<p>[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]</p>
Shaun Newman
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

No problems yet, so I`ll fix it tomorrow.<p>Thanks for replying :) <p>(this way I can put the money on the Koni`s and H&R`s I have ordered, hehe)<p>
nope-mx3
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

when I was taking apart the power steering lines and the pump, tons of air got into the system. but according to the shop manual the air seems to go away itself, you just have to fill up the system and move your steering wheel around for a bit. :shrug:
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vlad:
when I was taking apart the power steering lines and the pump, tons of air got into the system. but according to the shop manual the air seems to go away itself, you just have to fill up the system and move your steering wheel around for a bit. :)
I`ll fill the tank and do some inspiring driving this weekend then ;D (roads are almost completely without snow now, and probably dry this weekend :D D)<p>nope-mx3
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

if there is a leak air will just keep coming in the system. You'll see bubbles constantly coming up thru the resivior
Shaun Newman
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Checked it today.
Was no leak, and plenty of fluid, so It`s all good ;) <p>found a small hole in the flex-hose infront of the cat. though... looks as if I have to replace the entire exhaust system from the cat. to the engine :/ (about $700 US in parts)<p>nope-mx3
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

if there is a hole in the flex pipe, you just need to replace the y-pipe (it goes from the cat to the exhaust manifolds). You don't have to change them. I just got a used one for $25 from one of the guys off Probetalk. It needed some mods though.
later
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

ah, that`s a good idea.
I can use a pipe from a ford probe or a Mazda 626?
with some modifications?<p>nope-mx3
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

first of all the probe/mx6/626 y-pipe is a little longer. So you will have to move your catalytic converter back a bit. Plus u need the rear exhaust manifold from the car you get the pipe off, because the flange is rotated a bit on those cars compared to an mx3. Also you will need to cut off your old flange where cat attaches to the catback system and rotate that as well, or get a high flow cat and weld on new flanges.
The best bet would be to find a used y-pipe from an mx3. Try www.car-parts.com search for any state. Iam not sure if they ship internationally.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

Another thing, for that price quote you wrote - $700 you can get a whole new custom exhaust system with a new muffler and a high flow cat, plus a used y-pipe. At least where I live you can. :p
Peace

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”