Anyone interested in Stainless shifter bushings?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Anyone interested in Stainless shifter bushings?

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guyz 'n galz,
my shifter has finally killed all four bushings (like more than half of the people on this forum, no doubt). I've looked at the bronze bushings available from SRD and Corksport, and I can't see spending $30 on a set of 4 bushings... especially not made from 'bronzoil'. I've got some stainless stock... I'm gonna make some of my own. If anyone else is interested in a set, just let me know. I plan on machining mine to very close tolerances since I don't mind the vibration through the shifter when compared to the positive shifting feel. I assume that the pacesetter shifter cannot use stock size bushings, due to the many posts of problems. If anyone wants to send me specs on the pacesetter bushings, I'll be glad to try and make a set. <p>Since this could be considered a 'for sale' post, I'll post what I'll ask ($) for them in the 'For Sale' forum... just come look up the post. :cool:
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
eunosads

Re: Anyone interested in Stainless shifter bushings?

Post by eunosads »

the benefit of bronzoil bushings is that they are self lubricating.. the more they wear, the more they lubricate.. <p>unlike stainless, they will just simply wear... <p>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
jasonbierschwale

Stainless won't wear NEAR as fast as bronzoil... bronzoil is one of the softest metals available... and it's brittle. When you work it with a lathe or mill, it falls apart like chalk. Stainless on the other hand will hold the close tolerances you start with for years and years... and it will not corrode. As long as machined tolerances are very close, lubrication is not necessary on a shifter... bronzoil is all hype. But, I didn't post to argue about the benefits or disadvantages to either one. I just wanted to know if anyone is interested in a set of stainless bushings. I take it you're not...? :shrug:<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Trinity23T ]</p>
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Trinity23T:
Stainless won't wear NEAR as fast as bronzoil... bronzoil is one of the softest metals available... and it's brittle. When you work it with a lathe or mill, it falls apart like chalk. Stainless on the other hand will hold the close tolerances you start with for years and years... and it will not corrode. As long as machined tolerances are very close, lubrication is not necessary on a shifter... bronzoil is all hype. But, I didn't post to argue about the benefits or disadvantages to either one. I just wanted to know if anyone is interested in a set of stainless bushings. I take it you're not...? :shrug: <p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Trinity23T ]<hr></blockquote><p>Yes but the self lubricating prevents wear, thats why the are such good bushings. I personally have the SRD bronsoil bushings, and I have to admit, they're pretty nice.
andy

Post by andy »

being the home mechanic type, I replaced my bushings awhile back with stainless steel 1/2" nuts and bolts. I had in my possesion 1/2 dozen laying around. I had to modifiy things a little bit to allow the bolts to fit. In the end I like the way it shifts. So far wear has not been an issue. I'm confident that the steel/stainless combination will out live the car.
The next time i'm under there I'll break out the digital cam. ;)
Andy P. 93 GS
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

FYI Stainless Steel has a very bad tendancy to STICK with other metals and especially steel. Bushings/Control rod will seize in no time.
jasonbierschwale

Funny... I've never had that problem. Unless the stainless was all galled and pitted. Then I could see it happening.
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

Thanks all for your input.. <p>Jason, I wasn't trying to say your idea was no good or anything, just pointing out what I knew. Admittedly I am no professional when it comes to metals' characteristics.. <p>Hope your bushings go well. Keep in touch with how they perform.<p>@ds<p>edit: removed profanity<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: eunosads ]</p>
- EUNOS 30X -

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”